Glute activation...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Has she ever had any knee or leg injuries to her drive side? I am wondering…she pushes off with her knee pointing at an angle instead of straight at the catcher.

No major knee issues. There was knee pain a few years ago, but I don't think it's a factor now. Her foot and knees turn out when she sprints as well (maybe not to the same degree).

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Maybe this will demonstrate the point that I am trying to make.

The glute straightens out the upper and lower torso... It also explosively thrusts the entire body forward in doing so. That is how the elite cover so much ground without a negative tilting posture... They don't have to reach with the stride leg.

glutes.jpg

The quads only straighten the leg. They do not bring the upper and lower torsos inline... In this case, instead of thrusting the body forward like the glutes, they are applying force to an already opened pelvis that results in the rear butt cheek being pushed out.
quads.jpg

If DD's glutes were being recruited, she would not remain folded at the waist. Her drive leg glute should have extended her hip and straightened her into backwards K before her arm got to 3 o'clock. You can't crack a walnut if you are bent at the waist.

I am respectfully asking that someone explain to me how changing her sequence will correct what I have pointed out above.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
they are applying force to an already opened pelvis that results in the rear butt cheek being pushed out.

I agree this is WHAT is happening, but am not convinced of your explanation for WHY it is happening..

I am respectfully asking that someone explain to me how changing her sequence will correct what I have pointed out above.

not sure if it is a "sequence" issue, necessarily.

But I think it's pretty clear in the 3rd still photo above that she is getting fully-open during her push and before she detaches from the plate.

Look at the stills of Monica/Ueno you posted,
and compare the rotation of the stride leg, just before detachment.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
It took a while to dig something up, but here is a clip of her running.

20160423-Baily%20run1_slow.gif

Take a look at the frame by frame of her feet.

running_foot.jpg

For whatever reason, this is how she is programmed to put maximum force into the ground... Her brain doesn't care if it is running or pitching. This is her current state drive mechanic.

This is why I'm not hung up on pitching mechanics per se. I just want to fix this, and with that her pitching mechanics will also benefit.

P.S. We have no idea why the coach sent her on this play... :confused:

P.S.S. Watch her left foot in the last frame, it's getting ready to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs