Glove recommendation for 9yr old catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2012
All

Can anyone recommend a glove for my 9yr old daughter ? What size / brand should I be looking for ? Any tips ? She's been catching for a couple of seasons in rec now and has asked for a proper catcher's glove.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Apr 1, 2010
My 12 yr old DD is using a Mizuno GSX-92 and she loves it. It's got a great pocket that balls don't pop out of, is easy to break in and is pretty lightweight. I highly recommend it.

If your daughter tries it and likes it, it should last her until she either wears it out or starts getting stung too much catching someone throwing hard, like in the upper 50s or 60s. That's not going to happen for a long time!

Oct 30, 2012
Ashburn, VA
When DD started catching at 9, she used the Mizuno Prospect GXS101. It is a 32 1/2 inch glove which isn't too big and was very easy to break in. The 32 1/2 works well with the 11" balls used in 10U. DD still used it when she went to 12U and it handled the 12' balls fine, but we are now breaking in a 33" mitt :)

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As a catcher progresses from starting out and continues through competitive, H/S and college ball, what they need out of their glove changes. Starting out at 8-10, (typically) the most important thing for small hands is to be able catch and hold onto the pitched ball. Pitches usually aren't coming in hard enough to warrant a thick palmed glove or heavy kip leather with lots of padding that can be difficult to squeeze closed. Mizuno and Easton are the gloves I am most familiar with and both have excellent gloves for younger players. Whenever a catcher is having difficult holding onto a pitch at our sessions, I break out my Easton Synergy, have them put it on and almost magically they stick every pitch! A 29 to 33 inch glove is best for younger fastpitch catchers.

Intermediate catchers will want some padding in the palm (Or use an inner glove) to receive faster pitches, firmer felts and a slightly heavier leather as well as a larger circumference (32.5 to 34 inch) are called for to help her succeed in sticking pitches and handling higher velocity pitches safely. We have had great success with Worth, Akadema, Vinci and Mizuno. I have 4 catchers using TPS Valkeries right now and love them... Most glove manufacturers have great gloves for this purpose..

Advanced catchers growing into their adult bodies are facing high velocity pitches and want the loudest, most intimidating "pop" they can get out of their mitt. Thicker, more robust palm padding, heavier kip or other premium leather is a must to meet these goals. We have had great personal experience with the Worth Liberty. Our catchers like Wilson, Worth and Vinci for these goals...

All this to say that keep in mind what your catcher is trying to achieve and what stage they are at in their catching career and act accordingly. The best glove I have seen for younger players is the Easton Synergy. (Not that there aren't a lot of great gloves for this age group) It is a good idea to stay away from gloves that advertise that they will work for baseball or softball.... It is good to get a glove that has a deep pocket rather than a large circumference. A deep pocket will be easier to keep the ball in. Large circumference gloves tend to roll over at the fingers and have more pitches bounce out that don't hit the pocket dead on...
-Chaz @ ACC

PS, It's a great idea to search out local shops that stock a lot of gloves. You can try them on, check the fit and maybe even try them out..

271052_485767071443281_1814071792_n.jpg

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The best mitt I have yet to see for young catchers is Easton's SYN2FP Synergy. This mitt has very little padding in the palm which makes it ideal for younger 8-11 year old catchers to be able to close the glove and focus on their main concern... Don't drop the pitch! I cannot tell you how many young catchers come in and drop every other pitch. They and their parents think there is something wrong with them. Then I hand them my Easton Synergy and they stick nearly every pitch! I cannot recommend the mitt for catchers facing faster pitching, but for a young catcher that is challenged not to drop the pitch, this is the mitt for them.

219177930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah