Glove advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm sorry, I can't comment on those two gloves except to say don't spend more than $50-$60 on a glove for a 9y.o.. The Miken looks to be the direction you should be heading. Go to a sporting goods store and let her try on some gloves. I took DD to Dicks on a Saturday or Sunday morning and would let her try catchiong with a couple different gloves to see which she liked best. . given her age, my experience with gloves is typically going with either the Mizuno/Jennie Finch or the Wilson/Cat Osterman 'Monsta Web". Young players need gloves that are game ready. they will need to replace them every year or two as they grow and the gloves aren't built to last.

DD#1 didn't get a 'real" glove until she was 11 or 12. She's 19 now and still uses the same glove (When she's not catching) DD#2 has been using the Mizunos and replacing them. she will be 15 in November, her glove is barely 2 years old and I'm thinking it's time she got a real glove- but these ready to play gloves have served her very well up till now, they just don't last and she is pretty much done growing.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2014
My DD loves her Super Soft Miken. No real break in time. She is 14 and has 12.5. Her is going on 2 years with no issues. I just jinxed myself, didnt I?

Dec 2, 2012
My DD (15 yo playing 3B & middle infield for an 18gold team) started using the shoeless jane 11.75 this spring and loves it. It has much better "feel" than her previous glove, which was a Nakona. The Nakona is a larger, heavier glove that she now keeps in her bag for the rare times she plays OF. The shoeless jane required almost no break-in time, and has proven to be very durable. That being said she takes very good care of the tools that take care of her.

It will be a little heavier than the less expensive gloves in that size category, but I don't think it would be too heavy. It's a very small glove.

I personally would not spend the additional money for the shoeless jane for an 8 yo. There are too many unknowns with her future in the sport at that age. However, if you do choose to go that route, and she is willing to take good care of the glove, she will own it for a long time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1