Girly Girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Is there a big issue with being a girly girl in fastpitch?

Here is the Story:

I was talking with my DD about the last season. My question to her was how they woke up to beat a team down last year. We are talking about a team that the girls had beat only by 2 points the 1st time they played team. This time it was over after two innings. I mean OVER. Pure domination. Every girl was catching, throwing, and the pitchers were on fire.

My DD went on to say that team were mean girls. Hmmm its softball how can you be a mean girl (in my head that was what I was thinking).

She said they kept calling them girlie girls and the team was chanting mean girly chats at them. I was like, but yall are girly girls? I even said you still like playing with Barbie's. Heck what is a mean girl chat???

My daughter said -- I like my hair done, I like wearing dresses and my dolls are fun, but they didn’t have to tease me about it. So, I replied you took it personally. My daughter replied they made us mad. So, I said if I called you a girly girl will you get that mad every game? She laughed and said naaaaa they were mean girls and needed to learn a lesson.

I did ask my DD if they were teased often. She said yes but most teams shut up (yes she said shut up) after they start playing. My DD said that team was just mean and would not stop.

My daughter saw “league of their own” and now she is working to get the team to push for dresses for game uniforms like “league of their own” – that is how girly our team is. Heck I assumed all the teams were like our team.

Our girls are 12U. I was shocked that the girls were being teased for being girly and more shocked at how they responded.

Now how do we get them this mad for every game????? HA HA HA

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Here is the Story:

I was talking with my DD about the last season. My question to her was how they woke up to beat a team down last year. We are talking about a team that the girls had beat only by 2 points the 1st time they played team. This time it was over after two innings. I mean OVER. Pure domination. Every girl was catching, throwing, and the pitchers were on fire.

My DD went on to say that team were mean girls. Hmmm its softball how can you be a mean girl (in my head that was what I was thinking).

She said they kept calling them girlie girls and the team was chanting mean girly chats at them. I was like, but yall are girly girls? I even said you still like playing with Barbie's. Heck what is a mean girl chat???

My daughter said -- I like my hair done, I like wearing dresses and my dolls are fun, but they didn’t have to tease me about it. So, I replied you took it personally. My daughter replied they made us mad. So, I said if I called you a girly girl will you get that mad every game? She laughed and said naaaaa they were mean girls and needed to learn a lesson.

I did ask my DD if they were teased often. She said yes but most teams shut up (yes she said shut up) after they start playing. My DD said that team was just mean and would not stop.

My daughter saw “league of their own” and now she is working to get the team to push for dresses for game uniforms like “league of their own” – that is how girly our team is. Heck I assumed all the teams were like our team.

Our girls are 12U. I was shocked that the girls were being teased for being girly and more shocked at how they responded.

Now how do we get them this mad for every game????? HA HA HA
Heck NO issue G.G. !

...however i may respond differently to
'man bun'... :unsure:... teasing...

Jul 31, 2015
Hair bows, earrings, glittery eye black, etc. are simply a means of self-expression, similar to a mullet, rolled up sleeves, multiple piercings, etc. And they only matter if they enhance or detract from play, which is why jewelry and earrings are often banned at the younger ages due to safety concerns.

That said, accessories can provide some insight into the personality of a team, and they can - in your case, have - fed into stereotypes. Your daughter and her teammates have picked up on this and are eager to blowup the girly girl stereotype. Good for them!

"Mean" on the other hand is an opinion. May or may not be true, but it doesn't matter. If one team views another team as mean, then they are mean. Perception = reality.

So if short skirts help your team feel more powerful, go for it! Might want to check with the local umpire association first though.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When Anna moved up to the 16U team in our organization, 2/3 of the girls on that team looked like models! And they could PLAY some softball! That team drew a lot of young male fans looking on everywhere we played!

And as pattar said........RUNS, not points!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Shockingly to some, I am a bit of a girly-girl. I do like to sometimes get all dolled up and go out to a social. Or wear a skirt or dress to go to class and wear jewelry and all that. But a lot of times, I like to dress comfortably. Like sweats or leggings with a hoodie or something like that. But being a bit of a girly-girl hasn't transitioned over to softball. With softball, I'm as much a tomboy as most of the other girls on my team...and I love it.

May 20, 2015
My dd at 10u. “I knew we would win that game”

how could you know that?

“Did you see the pitcher? She had a pink glove”

my girls have said similar when they saw girls wearing jackets in the field during school ball lol......

Mar 28, 2020

"Mean" on the other hand is an opinion. May or may not be true, but it doesn't matter. If one team views another team as mean, then they are mean. Perception = reality.

So if short skirts help your team feel more powerful, go for it! Might want to check with the local umpire association first though.

They will not get the skirt uniforms....nope.... I have to save them from themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi