GHSA sets new pitch count rules.for baseball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
But there is no evidence that pitch counts or inning limits actually reduce the chance of injury. It just seems random.

What if they set speed limits instead? No pitcher can throw faster than 50mph as any speed above that places undue stress on the shoulder.
What if they said no player can throw the ball longer than 60 feet at any time during the game?

Who gets to decide the limits in any case?

Jul 5, 2016
But there is no evidence that pitch counts or inning limits actually reduce the chance of injury. It just seems random.

What if they set speed limits instead? No pitcher can throw faster than 50mph as any speed above that places undue stress on the shoulder.
What if they said no player can throw the ball longer than 60 feet at any time during the game?

Who gets to decide the limits in any case?

If there is agreement at some point that overuse of softball pitchers is a problem, the limits will come in the form of pitch count limits or inning limits.

One thing is certain and that is that you can't count on all coaches to look out for the well-being of their players. There will always be a few that will push a girl to play when she shouldn't or won't prevent a girl from playing when she shouldn't.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If there is agreement at some point that overuse of softball pitchers is a problem, the limits will come in the form of pitch count limits or inning limits.

One thing is certain and that is that you can't count on all coaches to look out for the well-being of their players. There will always be a few that will push a girl to play when she shouldn't or won't prevent a girl from playing when she shouldn't.

Is the problem the coaches or irresponsible parents? I just do not understand the blind, implied trust. Why would you count on the coaches to look after the well-being of your child? Ultimately who is responsible?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The problem with pitch counts in a HS league is that they can't take into consideration the number of pitches thrown in travel. And travel doesn't know how many pitches are thrown as a guest player...

You can say a random number they came up with. But they need to do something. Kids in HS should not need Tommy John surgery, guys in college shouldn't be on their second one. There is a problem and it's not just mechanics. It's Overuse and year long specialization.

Jul 5, 2016
Is the problem the coaches or irresponsible parents? I just do not understand the blind, implied trust. Why would you count on the coaches to look after the well-being of your child? Ultimately who is responsible?

As parents, we bear ultimate responsibility for our children, but when my daughter gets on the school bus after school for a game I have to miss because of work, the coach is responsible in every sense of the word - legally and morally.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have been training pitchers for many years and do not see this as anything more than some isolated incidents based on poor mechanics and/or stupidity. Neither of which can be fixed by a rule. Regardless the issue certainly does not rise to the epidemic levels that some may suggest. Like anything else if you are properly conditioned, trained, and exercise proper judgement you will be fine.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As parents, we bear ultimate responsibility for our children, but when my daughter gets on the school bus after school for a game I have to miss because of work, the coach is responsible in every sense of the word - legally and morally.

Assuming your DD is a pitcher, are you and the coach on the same page as far as practice regimen, warm-up routines, pitching limits, etc? Care to share the specifics of what you have done to prevent problems and hold the coach accountable?

May 13, 2012
For us girls " can't " play travel during school sEason so an inning or pitch count can be enforced. Like rise said parents should be involved, but I'm sure HS coaches would agree with recent thread about the best team to coach is a team of orphans. I don't agree with everyone on here or the school coaches and likewise I'm sure. There are rules regarding the way various Games are played and I don't like some of them, but hey its good. Rules protecting players I may wonder about but never get mad about or try to get thrown out.

Jul 5, 2016
Assuming your DD is a pitcher, are you and the coach on the same page as far as practice regimen, warm-up routines, pitching limits, etc? Care to share the specifics of what you have done to prevent problems and hold the coach accountable?

I haven't really had to deal with overuse situations. The times when my DD has pitched more than one game in a day or a game a day without breaks are few and far between. In HS, she has had some 150+ pitch games, but never more than one game / day and 4 / week.

Thus far, her coaches (HS, travel) have asked her if she is feeling OK for an extra effort. And she is not into heroics, so if she if hurting, she will say so.

Her high school coach is OK with her missing some practices for pitching lessons.

All of her coaches have let her warm up as she sees fit.

Her injuries thus far have been:

1. A sore back in 8th grade due to overuse (we were still learning then)
2. A knee problem due to bad luck (a condition that maybe 2 girls in 1000 will experience) as opposed to overuse or even playing softball (e.g. would have happened in soccer or basketball).

She will be joining a higher level club team soon and we will see how that goes. However, my impression is that the head coach of the organization puts his girls well-being above all else.

May 13, 2012

Rise you have probably nailed the problem. How many on here are on the same page about this game with every coach your DD has played for? Concerning pitchers, Coaches have their ideas and methods, same for parents that are involved. Now in CA and other hot spots.for SB you can shop until a parent and coach are thinking the same. Lots of rural areas not much to shop from.

Cannonball, your a respected poster on here and coach. My DD makes your team #1 pitcher, I show up respectfully say she does this warm up and she will only throw x amount while using these mechanics. How do you handle this if it's similar to your way of thinking? How about if it's way out of line of your thinking, wrist flips/HE etc. Does this play into your decesion of who pitches assuming close #2 who's parents have not provided any input

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06