getting them to throw better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
So I have a very inexperienced bunch of girls and some who never picked up a Softball. As you can imagine throwing was below par for many of them. I started looking into the wasserman throwing techniques and drills. I put a little of this stuff to use and it is phenomenal what the improvement is. I think some would think his methods are silly and wont work because they are not the "traditional" methods but they work better than any thing I ever tried. Good stuff!

Jan 22, 2011
We have a golden retriever, DD can throw.

Very true.... when my niece was 3 I was shocked at how good her throwing mechanics were. It was because she was growing up around 3 dogs, 2 of which were golden retrievers, and constantly threw tennis balls for them to fetch.

So.... get Austin's book or a golden retriever!

Nov 2, 2015
Very true.... when my niece was 3 I was shocked at how good her throwing mechanics were. It was because she was growing up around 3 dogs, 2 of which were golden retrievers, and constantly threw tennis balls for them to fetch.

So.... get Austin's book or a golden retriever!

My daughter (7) has, by far, the best throwing mechanics on the team. 2 Golden Retrievers!

Feb 25, 2016
I like the figure 8 drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbF3nIMKAE

Our girls can make a throw from 2b to 1b now. So many kids these days don't even know what it's like to skip stones or play catch with other kids. Between the softball and baseball teams, we have 20 of these kids and half are starters. sigh...its going to be a long 4 seasons...

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I have a yellow lab....same thing. Whenever we have guests in the back yard for a bbq or something, I always tell them whenever they get there.....do not throw anything for the dog. She will bring you all kinds of things and beg and beg, but don't do it. Once started, it can never be taken back lol.

Jun 13, 2015
That video is pretty much the antithesis of the High Level Throwing from Wasserman. Wrist snaps and throwing from a high ball/high elbow position lead to weak throwing. Notice in the intro, doing things at near full speed, that she does not get into that high rear elbow position and her throws look a lot better.

Mar 11, 2009
in the figure 8 drill, the girl is casting her arm, no lag and whip. Don't teach this. Use High Level Throwing from Wasserman, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06