Getting different bat advice from different coaches... WTD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
She is not ready for the Insane. If you follow the big 10 it was the yellow bat the power hitters were using. Cheaper to go with the older CF4 than the CF5. Some really good deals right now.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
There are so many things SHE can do to help out getting an upper end bat. You can do can drives (pass out fliers saying when you will be by to pick up cans/bottles for Travel Softball). Send out letters to family and friends asking for donations to help with Travel costs. You will be suprised how quick you can collect enough.

Now from my experience, you buy a Wal-Mart bat, you'll hit like a Wal-Mart bat. bottom line you get what you pay for. I used to be a firm believer that the bat really didn't matter until I got a Clarity for my DD. She went from hitting soft grounders to hitting it the outfield, nothing else changed except for the bat.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
IMO at this point you might get more bang for your buck using the cyclone, posting video here and maybe finding a good local hitting coach, finding a good coach might be the hardest part depending on resources in your area. I have seen, I am sure others here have as well, many many kids with $300 bats and horrible swings. The bat is just a tool that your DD needs to learn how to use properly. Look back at what others have posted when seeking advice and you will see there is great information provided on this board.

My DD cracked her catalyst (32/22) earlier this year. We found a good local deal on a CF5 hope and moved up to a 33/23. She loves the feel and balance, it feels lighter than the catalyst did even though it is actually heavier and longer. Once your DD learns to swing the bat properly and gets her "feel sensors" activated have her try as many bats as possible and she will chose the right bat for her. It seems like a strong personal preference. My DD tried the CF4 insane, didn't like the feel. Said she felt drag in it. My DD is 5'3" and 142, very strongly built so could handle the bat, the balance just didn't feel right. Same with many Eastons and Rocket Techs.

Oct 25, 2009
I really like what CoachKevin posted. Probably 95% of the parents buy their DD's bats. I can't think of a better lesson than for the DDs to scrape up the money for their upper end bats.

CoachKevin's advice there is probably as valuable to the kids as any advice you'll get on how to play.

You should be able to tell just how important it is to have the right equipment. Learning how to use it is the most important but the better the bat the more forgiving if you're a little off. And I have to agree that most softball participants are a little off. :)

TPS Xeno! At least try it before you decide. Borrow a teammate's if possible.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2009
Here's the thing... DD has some money to get a higher end bat. She wants to save the money for an ipod touch. I told her it could help her sb game... she says "my teammates let me use their bats".

Jul 21, 2009
Thanks MsDinosaur.

I've got the Synergy on "watch" (it doesn't end for a couple days). Can't find a Stealth with that bid, but found one for $65. Also on the watch list.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am glad that other players are letting her use their bats. Some girls are not allowed to share because of how expensive the bats are. And some girls abuse the bats by hitting them against home plate, throwing them against the fence and knocking their cleats against them. I would remember to thank anyone that let me use their bat.

Good luck with your search for a bat. (Oh, and I never told my husband how expensive the bats were. I recently told him, "If I get hit by a bus, don't just give the bats away." He still didn't know what I was talking about. We almost had to evacuate Flagstaff, AZ. due to a forest fire, once and I was in the garage throwing the bats in the car. He just gave a strange look.)

May 1, 2011
It's obvious that you're taking everyone's advice on here, and let me tell you that is the first big step. Probably the biggest bit of advice I would give is to drop a little money on some lessons first. My DD's hitting coach has a bunch of old crumby bats at his cage, and that's what he wants the girls using to learn with. She hit some balls off the end of the bat that really rattled her hands the first time. Has really helped her appreciate her composite.

Amy, very rarely do I type something like this, but in this case, I'm going to cave. ROFLMAO!!!!! Throwing bats in the car whilst running from a forest fire.....that is pure, unadulterated, hardcore softball. Classic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole