Game video equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
We mount it pretty high up on the fence. I haven't really paid attention to how it works for lefties though. So far I haven't sat down and watched a whole game through. I just watch my DD and she's right handed.

Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
GoPro and LynkSpyder...and several memory cards and back up batteries. :) There are accessories that I consider luxury, but for basic...this is way to go.

LynkSpyder for sure. It is a great product. I use a Kodak Pixpro SP1. Costs lots less than the go pros, battery lasts at least 2 hours and can be swapped for a fresh one, networks to an iPhone so you can see what is in the frame and has adjustable widths/zoom so you can always get from foul pole to foul pole.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
image.jpg
I'm liking it!
Took me 3 games to get the settings somewhat right where I could view the recordings on my iPad. Set it at 1080, 30 fps, med angle. Wanted to try the narrow angle but never did get a chance. I'm 6' and mounted it as high as I could add still have my wife turn it on when games started.

If you mount the lynkspyder on a nylon mesh backstop, be sure to get it tight. I had it bounce off on a wild pitch and hit an ump that was watching our game. Not the best way to make friends with Blue. Fortunately it was on a warm up pitch and I got my wife to just turn it off.

I would like for it to keep the med view but to zoom in a little bit more but otherwise, I'm happy with it. I like being able to go back and watch everyone's game swings and reviewing fielding errors and seeing things I miss during the game.

What is the best way to share the video or parts of video?
Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
View attachment 9064
I'm liking it!
Took me 3 games to get the settings somewhat right where I could view the recordings on my iPad. Set it at 1080, 30 fps, med angle. Wanted to try the narrow angle but never did get a chance. I'm 6' and mounted it as high as I could add still have my wife turn it on when games started.

If you mount the lynkspyder on a nylon mesh backstop, be sure to get it tight. I had it bounce off on a wild pitch and hit an ump that was watching our game. Not the best way to make friends with Blue. Fortunately it was on a warm up pitch and I got my wife to just turn it off.

I would like for it to keep the med view but to zoom in a little bit more but otherwise, I'm happy with it. I like being able to go back and watch everyone's game swings and reviewing fielding errors and seeing things I miss during the game.

What is the best way to share the video or parts of video?
Thanks again for the help!

We've been testing mesh nets a bit more. I am finding success in turning the claws around so that they curl away from the field (they normally curl towards the field). This way, when the net bounces and the weight of the bracket pulls away from the net, the claws will just "dig in deeper", in a manner of speaking.

If medium isn't enough, you can use software like Adobe Premiere to crop the video in post production.

Most of our customers use YouTube, but some are using Vimeo. Viemeo isn't free, so I can't speak to the reason for going that route. YouTube is free, but you will have to request for your maximum limit to be increased to upload videos beyond 15 minutes:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en
There are various settings you can use to either mark is as private (requiring certain youtube accounts access), unlisted (meaning it can be seen, only if you have the link), or public (wide open).

Mar 9, 2015
Got the GoPro and Lynkspyder. Visit the Lynkspyder website to get ideas on backup battery setup. Working really good thus far, the only thing that took time was getting the optimal settings to see entire field. Haven't used in the rain so need to get some ideas on how to keep the camera and backup battery dry and still record the games. Any suggestions?

Mar 9, 2015
One thing the ump commented on the red blinking light while the GoPro was recording. Said it could be a distraction. Any way to shut that red record button off or any ideas to hide it?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
One thing the ump commented on the red blinking light while the GoPro was recording. Said it could be a distraction. Any way to shut that red record button off or any ideas to hide it?

You can turn off the LEDs in the setup menu.

Is there a way to have the whole game in one recording? It's recording about 26 min then creating a new video.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Got the GoPro and Lynkspyder. Visit the Lynkspyder website to get ideas on backup battery setup. Working really good thus far, the only thing that took time was getting the optimal settings to see entire field. Haven't used in the rain so need to get some ideas on how to keep the camera and backup battery dry and still record the games. Any suggestions?
We keep sandwich and 1 gallon zip top bags in the camera bag. Sandwich bag goes over the GoPro, with a hole poked in the bag, stretched over the lens cover. This allows for the cabling openings covered up, yet still allows for a clean shot.

As 4GD mentioned, the LED's as well as the beeps can and probably should be turned off. Go through the setup screen in the menu and set both to off.

You can turn off the LEDs in the setup menu.

Is there a way to have the whole game in one recording? It's recording about 26 min then creating a new video.

This is unfortunately an immovable object. GoPro does what is called "Chaptering". Once the file gets to it's limit, it will be saved and a new segment is created. This is a pain, but is actually in your best interest. If you have ever dealt with a file getting corrupted, it generally happens when the file is being saved and closed. When this happens (and it is more rare than it used to be) I've had little success at recovering the data. If they didn't segment the files, you could potentially lose an entire game.

May 10, 2013
USA
I use the Freemake Video Converter to join all the files together. It's a pain, takes about an hour or so before uploading to youtube.

Mar 9, 2015
We keep sandwich and 1 gallon zip top bags in the camera bag. Sandwich bag goes over the GoPro, with a hole poked in the bag, stretched over the lens cover. This allows for the cabling openings covered up, yet still allows for a clean shot.

As 4GD mentioned, the LED's as well as the beeps can and probably should be turned off. Go through the setup screen in the menu and set both to off.

This is unfortunately an immovable object. GoPro does what is called "Chaptering". Once the file gets to it's limit, it will be saved and a new segment is created. This is a pain, but is actually in your best interest. If you have ever dealt with a file getting corrupted, it generally happens when the file is being saved and closed. When this happens (and it is more rare than it used to be) I've had little success at recovering the data. If they didn't segment the files, you could potentially lose an entire game.

Thanks again for your help. Will check the settings! Must have missed them first time around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles