Game swings and things to work on over the winter.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Chris, I never said she wasn't using her core - I said she wasn't connecting her core/torso to her hands. She is opening her front leg with her front leg and dropping her hands using her arms.

It is basically a sequence issue. Also, she lifting out her hips as she starts movement instead of pulling back into her hips more (and I don't mean by spinning). This is another visual marker to show her legs are not connected to her core.

So, what would I say? The same thing I always say. Keep pulling back into the hips even as your front leg starts to open and pull back the hands as this happens. This is not a complicated process - but it is hard to (re)train your body/mind to adapt to this. Otherwise we would have a boat load of hitters that exhibit a really good swing sequence.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So, what would I say? The same thing I always say. Keep pulling back into the hips even as your front leg starts to open and pull back the hands as this happens. This is not a complicated process - but it is hard to (re)train your body/mind to adapt to this. Otherwise we would have a boat load of hitters that exhibit a really good swing sequence.

Agree, bold above. Just get the sequence started sooner.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
tumblr_nycf4zg4kt1usf292o1_400.gif

I didn't post a 'swing and a miss' to be a bad guy. I posted the swing/gif because I thought it showed a good swing.

Adding some stride, and coiling out to toe touch would improve the sequence and the slow and early. That would give her some added time to get the lower half working underneath the upper half...

Straighteg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks guys! I was hoping to get some cues that have worked for you with young hitters.

Adding some stride, and coiling out to toe touch would improve the sequence and the slow and early. That would give her some added time to get the lower half working underneath the upper half...
Straighteg

I like your DD's swing. You can add what SL says...which I agree with...unless your DD is a no stride hitter.
I would get a tee and let DD hit lines drives practice the above suggestions.
I think just having your DD starting early & slow as the pitcher starts. Plus having the mind set of yes,yes, yes...no on every pitch will improve your DD.
I also would like to see a view of your DD from the other side if you get a chance to post.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I like your DD's swing. You can add what SL says...which I agree with...unless your DD is a no stride hitter.

Regarding the stride, that's how she started swing naturally when she was 6. But it was coached out of her. We have worked on it a little during the season but not too much because I didn't want her messed up during games by over thinking it.

I don't think I have any recent front side video. ill keep looking in my files.

May 4, 2012
Regarding the stride, that's how she started swing naturally when she was 6. But it was coached out of her. We have worked on it a little during the season but not too much because I didn't want her messed up during games by over thinking it.

I don't think I have any recent front side video. ill keep looking in my files.

"But it was coached out of her" - that was my impression and reason for posting earlier video.

Also agree w rdbass that she is currently waiting to see If the pitch is a ball/ strike to start her swing. She needs to start her swing every pitch. I would start by showing her video of good hitters that include a view of the pitcher so she can get a sense when they start and how they start EVERY pitch

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
"But it was coached out of her" - that was my impression and reason for posting earlier video.

Also agree w rdbass that she is currently waiting to see If the pitch is a ball/ strike to start her swing. She needs to start her swing every pitch. I would start by showing her video of good hitters that include a view of the pitcher so she can get a sense when they start and how they start EVERY pitch

74mph_pitchx.gif

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5208-model-pitchers.html

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I have been showing her how late she is with her swing since I got the GoPro, but that has only been 3 weeks.. It just has not carried over to game swings yet. That will be a focus point for off season work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck