Front toss drill opinion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2012
Florida Marlins vs. Baltimore Orioles - Recap - June 22, 2006 - ESPN

"I looked at it and saw it was too close to the plate. And decided I would swing at it," he said. "It wasn't planned. They gave me time to wait and get ready to hit it. I've never done that before."

This is a good "drill" btw. Exposes those who are timing swing to pitcher instead of ball in flight. Like the kids who complain about too slow pitching. Great example of sequence. Did he get all jacked and loaded back as part of his "get ready to hit" with all that time? No, he read the pitch and executed a coiling - loading - launching sequence timed to the ball in flight.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This coach is saying all the wrong things. Doesn't want the hitter to 'coil' because 'they won't be able to see the pitcher'. Coach is creating a team of ground ball hitters. Reinforcing bad mechanics by saying 'correct,correct'.
Posey_InMidOuWLines.gif

Added:Hand paths are different on inside and outside pitches.JMHO

Correct.

What this guy is really teaching is ‘arm action’ ... and ignoring that the 'Around' is a setup for the path of that 'arm action'.

He made a big mistake IMO when he took out the lower body and circumvented the 'Around'.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Correct.

What this guy is really teaching is ‘arm action’ ... and ignoring that the 'Around' is a setup for the path of that 'arm action'.

He made a big mistake IMO when he took out the lower body and circumvented the 'Around'.

That guy was/is:

Auburn Softball coach Scott Woodard

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Watch the girl the coach is working with.

The coach keeps barking out “direct” … “direct” … “direct” …. And that is exactly what he’s getting from the player. She is ‘directly’ extending to the target. She is doing as instructed and in effect eliminated her ‘Around’ … as a result she is often not in a good position to go ‘direct’ to the ball.

At one point the coach barks out to the girl ... “a little bit around it … direct”. What happened was the girl’s pass through position was an “L” instead of a “Vee”. Her ‘Around’ was severely restricted, and hence her ‘setup for being ‘direct’ was poor. It wasn't the 'direct' that was bad, but the 'setup of the direct' that was bad.

This drill can be very good. What you see here is simply a poor implementation of the drill.

Aug 15, 2014
We do this in a progressive fashion
Square
Open and regular

We use as a teaching tools for our hands to drive the barrel.
We do load our our top half ..
No matter how good mechanics are, if your hands can't get your barrel in the correct spot you I'll never be a elite hitter

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26