football drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If Bill or I (me in the day) threw you a riseball, you would swing and miss it no doubt.

However, I would be the one throwing the 'Bent fingered rise', (in the sticky model grips). There is a big difference between that one asn d the 'Cut riseball' so widely taught now. The Bent Finger rise put WAY more spin on the ball then the wrist and fingers can with the cut rise.

The bent fingered rise does hop. Oh yeah, and it doesnt take 94mph to make it do that.

Jul 17, 2012
If Bill or I (me in the day) threw you a riseball, you would swing and miss it no doubt.

However, I would be the one throwing the 'Bent fingered rise', (in the sticky model grips). There is a big difference between that one asn d the 'Cut riseball' so widely taught now. The Bent Finger rise put WAY more spin on the ball then the wrist and fingers can with the cut rise.

The bent fingered rise does hop. Oh yeah, and it doesnt take 94mph to make it do that.
Kinda like the one that stopped in mid air, then fell on the plate?

Dec 20, 2012
Slingnit: So, Mr. Skinner, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?

Hal: I don't know. I'm a fast cook, I guess.

Slingnit: I'm sorry, I was all the way over here. I couldn't hear you. Did you say you were a fast cook? That's it?

[Hal nods in embarrassment]

Slingnit: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any place on the face of the earth?

Hal: I don't know.

Slingnit: Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Slingnit: So, Mr. Skinner, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?

Slingnit: I'm sorry, I was all the way over here. I couldn't hear you. Did you say you were a fast cook? That's it?

Slingnit: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any place on the face of the earth?

Slingnit: Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

That's funny, good one Slingnit.

Here's the problem with this age old riseball debate: for every math/science expert that you quote saying it cannot happen, there is another one saying YES, with the right conditions it is possible.

Bill

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West

I guess it depends on which one of deese two youts we talkin about here! Right?, Vinny

Jul 17, 2012
Try your rise with a Dudley-SB12L softball. That was the sanctioned ball in the 70's and 80's. Not even sure they still make em.

Apperently they do. Dudley - Product - Amateur Softball Association® SB 12L? Cork Center Fast Pitch/Slow Pitch Softballs
SB12's were the approved Beer League softballs when I played slow pitch back in the day. By the second inning...it was mush. A normal screaming line drive turns into a moderate floater. This is a true flight restricted ball. Surprised it was ever used in fastpitch.

Jul 14, 2008
It wasn't long after the SB12L was adopted as the official ASA sanctioned ball that complaints started to poor in about how slick the ball became in humid or inclement weather. So Dudley responded with the SB12L-FP with raised seams.........

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It wasn't long after the SB12L was adopted as the official ASA sanctioned ball that complaints started to poor in about how slick the ball became in humid or inclement weather. So Dudley responded with the SB12L-FP with raised seams.........

It was SB-12L for ASA through the early 80's.

Dont recall it being any slicker in humid weather. It was slick as glass right out of the box though. First thing the catcher and I would do is use our fingernails to 'Rough the ball up' fopr a better grip.

They sure felt lighter in weight than the balls the girls use now.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
SB12's were the approved Beer League softballs when I played slow pitch back in the day. By the second inning...it was mush. A normal screaming line drive turns into a moderate floater. This is a true flight restricted ball. Surprised it was ever used in fastpitch.

Everybody hits in slow pitch. We strived to let nobody hit in fastpitch. We usually went through three balls per game I would suspect. We started most ganes with two brand new balls and had to add in a decent used one befor the game ended. Sometimesd more if a ball was hit and not recovered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG