football drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If proper I/R is achieved when throwing the football, it will be a tight spiral and the nose of the ball will be slightly pointed upwards. This drill is great for the rise, but its good when included in the pregame warm ups too. The correct ball size will typically say youth on it, but Hal was right in saying do NOT buy a nerf or spongy ball, get the leather model.

Aug 21, 2008
Not sure what Hal has his stopwatch out for, did he invent this too? LOL.

I am not a fan of using a football, take that for what it's worth. I have seen a huge number of kids who have used a football to learn a rise and when they throw a ball, their have developed bullet spin, not back spin. Yes, they are taught to twist with their fingers but they twist the softball incorrectly and get bullet spin Bullet spin and riseballs don't mix.

Of course, I'm sure these kids I saw with the bullet spin were not "coach Hal's" students so they were doing it wrong.

Personally I think the double ball is the best device for a riseball. The sooner she can learn to spin the ball using the seams on the ball, the better. A double ball allows for that and helps with getting under the ball too.

Bill

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree that the double ball is best for learning correct back spin, however the football drill will force her to get her hand under the ball with the palm up at release. Use both to get the best of both worlds.

Oct 19, 2009
Not sure what Hal has his stopwatch out for, did he invent this too? LOL.

I am not a fan of using a football, take that for what it's worth. I have seen a huge number of kids who have used a football to learn a rise and when they throw a ball, their have developed bullet spin, not back spin. Yes, they are taught to twist with their fingers but they twist the softball incorrectly and get bullet spin Bullet spin and riseballs don't mix.

Of course, I'm sure these kids I saw with the bullet spin were not "coach Hal's" students so they were doing it wrong.

Personally I think the double ball is the best device for a riseball. The sooner she can learn to spin the ball using the seams on the ball, the better. A double ball allows for that and helps with getting under the ball too.

Bill

I agree with the double ball being a good tool, DD and I was shown it at a U Alabama clinic. The guy demonstrating how to use the double ball was from the king and his court and he was good at making it spin.

I made several using a double sided wood screws, make sure the ball is placed where the pitcher can get her proper grip. I coat the screw with glue, drill a small hole in both balls and screw the wood screw into the holes.

I’ve seen a number of coaches use the football, but IMO never like the ideal of the bullet spin.

Zinc_plated_double_sided_wood_screw.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
After getting introduced to the double ball last year, I have pasted it on to several very good coaches at different D1 college colleges as well as several very good pc in our area. They were all amazed at how well it worked to get students to get the correct spin on the rise. Anyone who has not tried it out is really missing out.

Thanks Bill

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
I am assuming there is a certain velocity the ball has to reach in addition to the spin put on the ball to get it to resist gravity and truly break "up". Has anyone done a study on what the minimum velocity of the ball can be to achieve a true rise ball? IOW, let's say a pitcher puts perfect 12/6 spin on the ball and it's spinning at maximum rotation. Yet he/she only throws 45 mph. Will it rise? If not, what is the minimum speed the ball needs to travel?

Dec 20, 2012
My dd used the football as well and the result was a bullet spin, fastball up. We never really used the double ball either. We used a ball on a stick, the hands would conform to where they should be at the snap. That and the drill when you snap and the ball goes behind you. But after all was said and done just throwing an letting her tweek until she got the feel for the spin worked best. But you have to start somewhere.

Dec 20, 2012
I am assuming there is a certain velocity the ball has to reach in addition to the spin put on the ball to get it to resist gravity and truly break "up". Has anyone done a study on what the minimum velocity of the ball can be to achieve a true rise ball? IOW, let's say a pitcher puts perfect 12/6 spin on the ball and it's spinning at maximum rotation. Yet he/she only throws 45 mph. Will it rise? If not, what is the minimum speed the ball needs to travel?

98 mph and 200 revs, more revs less speed in high altitudes, more speed and revs in high humidity(ball is heavy,saturated with moisture), 52 mph and 18 revs in most backyards, and I think that is it! lol, no clue but let the debate begin.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Like slingit said--it takes a machine to put enough revs on a ball to get it to curve upwards. Not even within the human realm. At best, good spin and speed will cause the ball to drop less than any other pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG