firtst basemans mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Forgive ignorance but is there such thing as softball first basemans mitt. Around here there is few choices and all say baseball. Are the gloves I am seeing on the playoffs first basemen true fast pitch glove or just baseball gloves being used in FP? Is there a differance? If they are FP mitts where can they be found.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You do not want a baseball mitt for softball. The 12 inch ball won't fit in the pocket. I really like mine, made by SSK. I have had it 20 years and I buy the same model, any time I can find one on line. I like for my players to wear it. I'll get you a model number in a little bit. It is great for all ages.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
You do not want a baseball mitt for softball. The 12 inch ball won't fit in the pocket. I really like mine, made by SSK. I have had it 20 years and I buy the same model, any time I can find one on line. I like for my players to wear it. I'll get you a model number in a little bit. It is great for all ages.

Amy - please let me know what you find out. My DD loved the SSK catchers mitt, but I heard they were bought out by Mizuno a couple of years ago so we can't find them anymore. I will say she does like Mizuno's mitt.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have one used one that I could part with. My gamer is used every day and it must be 15 years old. I have never even had it restrung. I was lucky enough to find a new one, that I bought at Christmas. I can't find any available today. SSK MPF 22. It is not the catcher's mitt on Ebay.

So, I have mine, a new one and one I could part with.

Nov 29, 2009
Another thing many dads forget about. Most softball specific gloves are made with smaller finger stalls to fit a woman's hand better. If you buy one of them for your daughter be sure she is the ONLY one who wears the glove during break in. I have seen dads stick their MUCH larger hand in a glove to use it and break it in for their daughter. The player ends up with an ill fitting glove.

Apr 26, 2012
I got my daughter one from Boombah and she loves it. They ship ups but call and have the stock number you want. Had problems getting the one we wanted at.first. Just chose a different color then the original one. She loves it and has taken her old glove out of her bag. The fight she gave me about getting a new one was unreal and now she can't do without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog