First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for all the posts and recommendations. The girls (and parents) had a blast. The girls, most of whom hadn't been to GA before, were impressed by the friendliness and manners of all the kids, parents and umpires we met. True southern hospitality at the restaurants too.

We visited World of Coke, DD nearly puked the Italy coke. We walked Olympic Park. Hit Williamson Bros for some awesome BBQ and pie. Played Laser tag. And went to Six Flags over GA. We managed to even squeeze in a little softball too.

We got to play GA Select, Tennessee Mojo, Birmingham Vipers and Team GA. Some great competition and classy all the way. Not making excuses for our poor showing, but we brought down a throw together team made up from various girls from our three 12U teams, basically anyone who wanted to experience and see what a showcase is like, and see what top competition outside New England looks like. Some weren't ready for that level of play or the heat. For DD's part, she played an error free weekend at 3B, even got a double play, and batted well with .570 OBP and a couple SB's. Our sister team finished 4th in the 14U's and DD is hoping to make the elite 14's this fall when she moves up, because she wants to come back next year and have a better showing.

Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

Now, can somebody just tell me how to get the red dirt out of this white uniform??
View attachment 8482

Y'all dun did play some dern good teams. (Just so JJsuqeeze can see my southern accent) The Mojo were 10U ASA national champs last year and our biggest competition in 10U. The Vipers are our older sister team and always compete hard. I really want to know if the Ga Select's boom box came to the tourney with them. They are good team and fun to play but that thing gets annoying after listening to it all day at the park. We had ours but it was left in 10U.

Sep 15, 2011
We were in GA (Burnt Hickory Park) this weekend as well. Some really good competition and very friendly people. It was way too f'n hot though. We lost one girl after our first game (was taken to the hospital) and another after our 3rd game. One of the tournament directors/medics? kept coming by and checking in on the girls. He was awesome.

We didn't place well, but we played well short handed and kept most of the games close. Hopefully good enough to get invited back. At least next year it will be in Jersey. Not a nice as GA, but definitely cooler and quite a bit closer for us.

Sep 15, 2011
Y'all dun did play some dern good teams. (Just so JJsuqeeze can see my southern accent) The Mojo were 10U ASA national champs last year and our biggest competition in 10U. The Vipers are our older sister team and always compete hard. I really want to know if the Ga Select's boom box came to the tourney with them. They are good team and fun to play but that thing gets annoying after listening to it all day at the park. We had ours but it was left in 10U.

That boom box was really f'n annoying. I am surprised I didn't take a bat to it. I generally liked the music selection but when it drowns out the dug out conversation on the neighboring field, it is just plain rude. The Mojo was a pretty good team, especially for all 2021 girls. They were not happy when we beat them, but then again we are an all 2020 team.

Sep 15, 2011
It was actually a bit cooler in GA last weekend. That was nothing.......

If that was nothing, then consider me a New Englander for life. I felt like I was melting in the shade on Friday, but then again my DD says I am a baby. Saturday was quite cooler though.

Apr 8, 2013
Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

Sorry for that. In my opinion that doesn't belong on the field. It creates too many awkward moments like your players experienced. My kids do not do the whole church thing and are afraid to not do the post game prayer thing as they fear they will be ostracized by their teams.

Now, can somebody just tell me how to get the red dirt out of this white uniform??

A product called Iron Out. Available at Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing sections

Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for all the posts and recommendations. The girls (and parents) had a blast. The girls, most of whom hadn't been to GA before, were impressed by the friendliness and manners of all the kids, parents and umpires we met. True southern hospitality at the restaurants too.

We visited World of Coke, DD nearly puked the Italy coke. We walked Olympic Park. Hit Williamson Bros for some awesome BBQ and pie. Played Laser tag. And went to Six Flags over GA. We managed to even squeeze in a little softball too.

We got to play GA Select, Tennessee Mojo, Birmingham Vipers and Team GA. Some great competition and classy all the way. Not making excuses for our poor showing, but we brought down a throw together team made up from various girls from our three 12U teams, basically anyone who wanted to experience and see what a showcase is like, and see what top competition outside New England looks like. Some weren't ready for that level of play or the heat. For DD's part, she played an error free weekend at 3B, even got a double play, and batted well with .570 OBP and a couple SB's. Our sister team finished 4th in the 14U's and DD is hoping to make the elite 14's this fall when she moves up, because she wants to come back next year and have a better showing.

View attachment 8482

I never got to meet #7Dad but my daughter's team was the victim of his daughter's "even got a double play". Runner on 2nd and hard line drive in the 5-6 hole and she makes a fantastic catch at 3B...and our runner at 2B is halfway to third and she doubles her off. One of the best plays I saw all weekend! We went on to the win the game but tell your daugther congrats on the great play!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes