First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I never got to meet #7Dad but my daughter's team was the victim of his daughter's "even got a double play". Runner on 2nd and hard line drive in the 5-6 hole and she makes a fantastic catch at 3B...and our runner at 2B is halfway to third and she doubles her off. One of the best plays I saw all weekend! We went on to the win the game but tell your daugther congrats on the great play!

Thanks for the kudos! Your player crushed that ball!

Sep 15, 2011
CoachYoYo, Are you with Eliminators? I think we were the only to NE teams down there.

Yes. I had a feeling you would figure that out. It was great see your girls and our girls wishing each other good luck as you and Team LI were the only teams we recognized down there.

Apr 1, 2010
ps- Am I the only one who is stoked to find out Southerner's can type? I thought JAD was using some sort of audio transcription software all this time. It was the only way to account for the lack of ya'lls and doin's and fixin's in his posts.

Southerner's what can type? I don't usually point out grammar, but surely you realize the apostrophe here makes it a possessive. ;-) I suspect you left out...hound dogs. Southerner's hound dogs can type. Yes, that would be amazing. LOL

I'm more a Midwesterner, but Missouri is/was a border state.

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for all the posts and recommendations. The girls (and parents) had a blast. The girls, most of whom hadn't been to GA before, were impressed by the friendliness and manners of all the kids, parents and umpires we met. True southern hospitality at the restaurants too.

We visited World of Coke, DD nearly puked the Italy coke. We walked Olympic Park. Hit Williamson Bros for some awesome BBQ and pie. Played Laser tag. And went to Six Flags over GA. We managed to even squeeze in a little softball too.

We got to play GA Select, Tennessee Mojo, Birmingham Vipers and Team GA. Some great competition and classy all the way. Not making excuses for our poor showing, but we brought down a throw together team made up from various girls from our three 12U teams, basically anyone who wanted to experience and see what a showcase is like, and see what top competition outside New England looks like. Some weren't ready for that level of play or the heat. For DD's part, she played an error free weekend at 3B, even got a double play, and batted well with .570 OBP and a couple SB's. Our sister team finished 4th in the 14U's and DD is hoping to make the elite 14's this fall when she moves up, because she wants to come back next year and have a better showing.

Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

Now, can somebody just tell me how to get the red dirt out of this white uniform??
View attachment 8482

Try taking them to a car wash or use a pressure washer if you have one, will make them look new. Just be careful around the numbers.

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry for that. In my opinion that doesn't belong on the field. It creates too many awkward moments like your players experienced. My kids do not do the whole church thing and are afraid to not do the post game prayer thing as they fear they will be ostracized by their teams.

That can be a tough one. If you don't want to participate then don't. It should be just as okay for the girls that want to as the girls that don't. Should those that are uncomfortable participating in others beliefs or rituals expect others to conform to theirs?

Jun 12, 2015
Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

View attachment 8482

I'm a rare breed, a GA native who's also a godless heathen ;) The prayer for every freaking thing here drives me up the wall. I really hate the assumption that every girl at a tournament shares one set of beliefs and wants to pray in the middle of a softball tournament. I try not to think about it or it pisses me off. My husband (asst coach on our team) usually doesn't participate - he just starts picking up the dugout while they do their thing. We leave it up to our daughter whether to participate and she usually does, which is fine. But there are definitely some major annoyances about living in the bible belt.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm just one of the people who does not object to a prayer before or after a game.

My understanding prayer has been a part of sporting events as early as the Roman Empire.

Jun 18, 2013
I'm even weirder. I'm a Sunday school teacher who is very strong in his faith. I pray privately before every game I coach. I am very conscious of the way I present myself to the kids that I coach and the kids that I coach against. I do not participate in the post game prayer circles unless there is a specific injury or incident that I feel warrants it. I understand the intention behind it, but I am very much of the belief that far too often it is not meant as a legitimate conversation between a person and God so much as it is used as a way to show the other people at the ball fields how spiritual you are. My actions at all times are supposed to be a reflection of who I am as a Christian, not for the 30 seconds when I remember to stand in a circle and pretend.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm even weirder. I'm a Sunday school teacher who is very strong in his faith. I pray privately before every game I coach. I am very conscious of the way I present myself to the kids that I coach and the kids that I coach against. I do not participate in the post game prayer circles unless there is a specific injury or incident that I feel warrants it. I understand the intention behind it, but I am very much of the belief that far too often it is not meant as a legitimate conversation between a person and God so much as it is used as a way to show the other people at the ball fields how spiritual you are. My actions at all times are supposed to be a reflection of who I am as a Christian, not for the 30 seconds when I remember to stand in a circle and pretend.

Our coach is very religious, but he never tries to put that on the whole team. I mean, odds are we're the only parents it would bother but still. I appreciate it. It's not like I walk around fuming about it or anything, I've lived in GA my whole life so I'm totally used to it. I'd just love to live in a world where I didn't have religion pushed on me in some way just about every day. I love GA, oddly enough, considering how little I fit in here! lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26