First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Here is a test for you....

Do you eat a lot of SPAM and are you unemployed?

two yes answers makes gives you a 90% chance of being Hawaiian...

One of our first tastes of "southern softball" was a tournament in Austin MN and a side trip to the SPAM museum! Yes, there really is one.

Since then we've traveled all over the country and the folks in Georgia were some of the nicest we've come across.

Jun 18, 2013
Here is a test for you....

Do you eat a lot of SPAM and are you unemployed?

two yes answers makes gives you a 90% chance of being Hawaiian...

I'm one of them gosh darned southerners. I have a friend who married a Hawaiian and he tried to get me to eat SPAM musubi several times. One of the nastiest things I have ever tasted.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Fried spam with mustard isn't bad at all.

btw.. Southerns can not use audio software. I've yet to find one that can understand us. Siri is hilarious in her translation. :D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I did find this on the GA board.....

14U Results
1. GA Impact - Stewart
2. AL Twisters
3. Orion Hunter, Lady Tigers
4. GA Intensity - Wright, NJ Intensity, Rhode Island Thunder, Firecrackers - Sileo

12U Results
1. Firecrackers - Pyne
2. Vienna Stars
3. B-Tbolts 02, B –Tbolts 03
4. GA Intensity - Taylor, GA Impact 02, Team GA 02, Team Mizuno

Nov 18, 2013
Relax, it was a joke. A few go back and forth trading good natured digs at one another. Part of the ribbing comes from the fact that a few MN kids are playing on Georgia teams where they can face stronger competition.

Even if true, his comments are nothing compared to what I’ve heard parents from Louisiana and Texas say about us during games.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thanks for all the posts and recommendations. The girls (and parents) had a blast. The girls, most of whom hadn't been to GA before, were impressed by the friendliness and manners of all the kids, parents and umpires we met. True southern hospitality at the restaurants too.

We visited World of Coke, DD nearly puked the Italy coke. We walked Olympic Park. Hit Williamson Bros for some awesome BBQ and pie. Played Laser tag. And went to Six Flags over GA. We managed to even squeeze in a little softball too.

We got to play GA Select, Tennessee Mojo, Birmingham Vipers and Team GA. Some great competition and classy all the way. Not making excuses for our poor showing, but we brought down a throw together team made up from various girls from our three 12U teams, basically anyone who wanted to experience and see what a showcase is like, and see what top competition outside New England looks like. Some weren't ready for that level of play or the heat. For DD's part, she played an error free weekend at 3B, even got a double play, and batted well with .570 OBP and a couple SB's. Our sister team finished 4th in the 14U's and DD is hoping to make the elite 14's this fall when she moves up, because she wants to come back next year and have a better showing.

Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

Now, can somebody just tell me how to get the red dirt out of this white uniform??
dirt.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thanks for all the posts and recommendations. The girls (and parents) had a blast. The girls, most of whom hadn't been to GA before, were impressed by the friendliness and manners of all the kids, parents and umpires we met. True southern hospitality at the restaurants too.

We visited World of Coke, DD nearly puked the Italy coke. We walked Olympic Park. Hit Williamson Bros for some awesome BBQ and pie. Played Laser tag. And went to Six Flags over GA. We managed to even squeeze in a little softball too.

We got to play GA Select, Tennessee Mojo, Birmingham Vipers and Team GA. Some great competition and classy all the way. Not making excuses for our poor showing, but we brought down a throw together team made up from various girls from our three 12U teams, basically anyone who wanted to experience and see what a showcase is like, and see what top competition outside New England looks like. Some weren't ready for that level of play or the heat. For DD's part, she played an error free weekend at 3B, even got a double play, and batted well with .570 OBP and a couple SB's. Our sister team finished 4th in the 14U's and DD is hoping to make the elite 14's this fall when she moves up, because she wants to come back next year and have a better showing.

Also, the girls we're a little awkward and shy at the post-game prayer, something we don't see up north. But they were troopers and participated, and giggled a bit.

Now, can somebody just tell me how to get this uniform white again??
View attachment 8482

Sounds like a great experience! As for the white uniform, DD calls this the miracle soap:

Amazon.com: Dial Corp. 04303 Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap: Health & Personal Care

And yes, I am making her do her white uniforms now. Now she gets why I give her such grief on being the dirtiest player on the team. :)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
One of our first tastes of "southern softball" was a tournament in Austin MN and a side trip to the SPAM museum! Yes, there really is one.

Since then we've traveled all over the country and the folks in Georgia were some of the nicest we've come across.

I have a friend at a place I used to work (here in Wisconsin) who set up a mini-Spam museum at work. It was cool they let him do that, although he had to move it around a few times. He runs a Spam festival every year. He let the Spam folks know about it. They've been nice to him. They even sent him some special kinds of Spam, including the kind of Spam that was ONLY sold in Hawai'i. He served that up in his Spam Fest one year. His in-laws have hens that lay the tastiest eggs in this part of Wisconsin, so the Spam and eggs dishes were incredible.

BTW, I did live in Hawai'i for a while many, many years ago. It was great, but way too isolated for my tastes. Great people, though. Interesting that the Hawai'ian dialect changes drastically from town to town, and often big differences between different ethnic groups in the same place. A lady I dated there had grown up in a suburban part of Oahu, then moved into Honolulu, and took on the "town" accent. It was weird hearing her talk with friends from high school who spoke with a completely different accent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd