First showcase - need a profile?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Heading to our first real showcase in Orlando in a couple weeks. This is a second year 14U team. It is a combo of girls from two teams in our org. Do I need to put together some sort of profile sheet for dd? She is a 2020 grad so I am under no illusions that there will be many if any coaches taking a look at her (she pitches and plays OF). We are mainly going to get out of the snow and cold and have her play on some dirt for a few days. But just in case, what should I bring - what does a profile sheet look like?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Your coach or team manager should put together a one page team brochure, having individual profile sheets for each player would be a bonus. Most teams put their brochure in a holder on the fence behind the backstop during games for easy access by college coaches. Some teams have recruiting coordinators behind the backstop who can hand out profiles and answer any questions the coaches may have. If your DD has good grades I would also recommend including her GPA on her profile page.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have seen lots of team profile pages, so there are many different ways to approach it. If your coach has never done one and would like something to go by, send me a PM and I will email you a copy of the one my DD's team used last season.

Jul 10, 2013
Do yourself a favor and use one of the recruiting sites. We used Captain U only because it came with one of the showcases. It was fast and easy to set up all you do is fill in the blanks. It has your basic information, high school grades and information spot for any news about the player and a video spot, and you get all the emails to all the schools from D1 to JC. It also has formatted emails to show you what to email and when. We thought it was a great tool.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Do yourself a favor and use one of the recruiting sites. We used Captain U only because it came with one of the showcases. It was fast and easy to set up all you do is fill in the blanks. It has your basic information, high school grades and information spot for any news about the player and a video spot, and you get all the emails to all the schools from D1 to JC. It also has formatted emails to show you what to email and when. We thought it was a great tool.

I have never used Captain U or any of the other recruiting websites, but I would caution against using them as your only means of communication with college coaches. Yes, they make it easy, but college coaches get 1000s of emails a week from Captain U and other recruiting websites, so how much attention do you think they give them?

And regardless of whether you use a recruiting service or not, I would highly recommend having a team brochure and printed profile pages on hand at showcases to hand out to college coaches. If your response to a coach inquiring about one of your players is "look her up on Captain U", I am 98.2% sure it will never happen....

Jul 10, 2013
Please hear what you are saying. I have never used there for I don't really know. But I would caution against them as your only means of communication. College coaches get 1000"s of emails from people like you too.
This is the 21st century how do you think a coach talks to your dd unless you don't know yet ? Have you ever seen a college coach at your games ? What do they have with them ? Cell Phone !
This is the 21st century where people use cell phones and tablets. Let me explain how this works since you don't know.
A coach comes up to me and ask if we have a brochure or profiles ? I say we have a team page on captain U all the information and video's are up to date, you hand them a sheet of paper without a video. If that coach looks up any of the girls they will get a notification from Captain U that says coach Jones looked at your profile. Does that sheet of paper do that. Also part of the notification is the coach's name it will also give you the school's web site and the softball web site so you can look up any information you want. These recruiting site were put together for college coaches to make there life easier not harder. Do you really think a coach wants to carry around 500 sheets of paper all done a different way or look at something done all the same way and they know what they are looking at ?
Last year I had 5 of my 9 starters all signed and my best two players choose JC for there own reasons. The two just signed before the Christmas break so that makes 7 of 9 starters all signed by using Captain U.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Please hear what you are saying. I have never used there for I don't really know. But I would caution against them as your only means of communication. College coaches get 1000"s of emails from people like you too.
This is the 21st century how do you think a coach talks to your dd unless you don't know yet ? Have you ever seen a college coach at your games ? What do they have with them ? Cell Phone !
This is the 21st century where people use cell phones and tablets. Let me explain how this works since you don't know.
A coach comes up to me and ask if we have a brochure or profiles ? I say we have a team page on captain U all the information and video's are up to date, you hand them a sheet of paper without a video. If that coach looks up any of the girls they will get a notification from Captain U that says coach Jones looked at your profile. Does that sheet of paper do that. Also part of the notification is the coach's name it will also give you the school's web site and the softball web site so you can look up any information you want. These recruiting site were put together for college coaches to make there life easier not harder. Do you really think a coach wants to carry around 500 sheets of paper all done a different way or look at something done all the same way and they know what they are looking at ?
Last year I had 5 of my 9 starters all signed and my best two players choose JC for there own reasons. The two just signed before the Christmas break so that makes 7 of 9 starters all signed by using Captain U.

Captain U is a total scam. Many times they have claimed coaches looked at profiles only to find out the coach does not even have an account. When confronted with this information CaptainU claimed it was a "technical error". Typically only college coaches that are desperate for players use services like Captain U, Berecruited, etc. Unless you are in an area with very minimal exposure opportunities there are much more productive uses of your time and money.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

I gave my opinion that I would not recommend using Captain U as the only means of communications with college coaches. You obviously have had a positive experience with them and if that is what you want to use for your team then knock yourself out, but I personally think you are doing the girls on your team a disservice.

Sidebar: I have personally watched Patrick Murphy pull a team brochure from behind a backstop and sit in the stand and take some notes on it while watching the game....

Dec 20, 2012

I'm not a mind reader so I have no idea what coaches want to carry around or how they want information arranged on paper. I do know that I have sat in front of a Staples at 755 am waiting for them to open in order to get copies of the team profile for coaches at an 815 am game. And let me explain how Captain U works...... It doesn't!

No coach I won't give you an easily accessible sheet of paper with all the info you need and can write notes for players. Instead i will give you a name you will need to search on a website. Kansas Twisters, no? Try Kansas Twisters Gold. no? Try Kansas Twisters Gold 18u, still no? I remember Kansas Twister Gold, no S on Twister because it was already taken. Yeah, just type that in coach and you will see all our profiles! Oh, your phone is dead from searching all these sites, so you hope you remember our teams name so you can look later on Captain U? Awesome, we can't wait to hear from you!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse