Fear when in the batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

HITTING COACH

terry_c
Jul 30, 2015
How do you tell a team of 10u girls to get over the understandable fear of being hit with the ball?

so you can get to the business of hitting the ball..

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reps and more reps.

Hopefully get parents involved.

DD hand was broke, she jumped out of the box every pitch. She started bunting, worked for us.

HITTING COACH

terry_c
Jul 30, 2015
yeah that is what I was thinking...but my DD does not have the same problem currently. We had a long talk and I told her to overcome that fear or she would not play softball for much longer as the game would not be fun, you know living in fear.

so she is doing very well I just need the rest of the team to do the same.

do I give them the same hard line talk?

Jul 11, 2016
Throw a bucket of wiffle balls at them in rapid fire speed. Have them just stand there. Throw some over the plate, at there legs, body helmet. It helps get the jitters out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
Circle up all the girls. Ask them how many have been hit by a pitch. Point out that every girl holding her hand up is here on the field and perfectly fine, so nothing to worry about.

May 12, 2016
First question is... how do you know they are afraid of being hit by the ball? Is it something they are doing during their swing?

Jun 19, 2016
I am thinking about having my DD stand on a 2x4 and have the pitcher use soft training balls. She is an advanced 8U league that is part coach pitch and part kid pitch. Against the coach pitcher she stays put and swings well. Against the kid pitcher she backs up every pitch...even if it is going the other way. The funny thing she has been hit by pitches before and she told me it really didn't hurt. It isn't like these 8U pitchers are throwing fireballs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild