Falling out with PC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
To some extent, I "smelled" this coming. DD's pitching coach has been awefully demanding of her lately. For the past few lessons, I almost sense she's taking it personal that DD is NOT grasping what she is teaching her as fast as she expects. For the record, she's working on what she refers to as the primary, and secondary energy transfer. Basically the load and explode and the follow through, throwing the weight into the plant foot side. I can see frustration in her body language during the lessons. Tonight, 75 minutes into our 45 minute lesson, when DD is SPENT, she starts riding her HARD about not concentrating, and not giving 100% and why is she giving her the extra time if she's not going to focus. (DD JUST turned 11). I lost it. I told her twice over the last month that I appreciate the extra time she gives us, being we are the last lesson of the day, but she needs to recognize when enough is enough. There is something called the Law of Diminishing returns. A lot of unpleasantries were passed back and forth, but ultimately, I thanked her for her time and we left.

We've been at this for a year...almost exactly, and although I've seen some less than stellar motivational qualities from this coach, it's escalated recently to the point it's beat-down after beat-down during her sessions. I don't see any lack of effort until the exhaustion point. I see it, shouldn't she? She practices what she's taught 4-5 nights a week outside lessons.

Am I over reacting? I see the interest she had in DD's success, but with that comes what's worse than a crazy pitching dad.... a crazy pitching coach!!

The owner of the facility called me afterwards and expressed her appologies for the evenings events. Although she defended her "employee" and long time coaching colleague by saying she was told that my DD seemed dis-interested and was dismissive. Of course I responded with...then why extend the lesson and beat on her?

Should I consider returning for more...or turn and run?

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Run. You don't need to pay someone to beat down your 11 year old. Find a better fit. Pitching takes time x 1000 no need to subject your DD to this until she quits.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sounds to me like it's time to move on. Whether it's the pitching coach expecting too much or your daughter not working hard enough, whatever you're doing isn't working. There's no reason to subject your daughter to regular abuse, especially if she really is trying. Perhaps the PC isn't a good teacher. She may know the material, but it doesn't mean she can convey it to an 11 year old.

Of course, without having observed the lesson it's hard to know for sure where the problem lies. But there is a problem. Perhaps a different approach from another instructor will click better with your daughter.

Nov 2, 2012
Run, run, run.... I am an elementary teacher and the father of a 12 moving to 14u TB as a #1. I have done most of the pitching instruction myself and used this board and others for my knowledge. Shorts spurts are best for this age. There are times we only get 15-20 minutes in of practice. IMO quality not quantity is the key. If the focus was not there, then I would suggest using this technique. "It doesn't seem to be working tonight, so we are cutting it short, maybe next time we can spend extra time." Usually when I do this it pisses her off and I get another 10-15 minutes of super focused and high velocity pitching :) Reverse psychology use it to your advantage. Then go home to live another day and make sure you praise her for the work ethic the last 15-20 minutes.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, my gosh! No way would I ever blame a student. What the heck is the PC talking about, anyway? Primary and secondary energy transfer? That PC is full of herself.

Jul 17, 2012
I was "warned" of this PC's strong, over the top style several months back by another local little league coach I've become friends with. I saw signs of it, but thought he was over-reacting. Well, not any more.
The worst part of this whole scenario is that she's teaching the right stuff, as far as I know, based on what I see, and what I learn from this and some other resources. She's older (60ish) so I've always taken her impatience with a grain of salt.... but it's gone from impatience to ignorance. I don't know of any other locals that teach the IR technique. There's a lot of HE type pitchers in our local leagues as a result of a couple of the more commercial instructional facilities in the area.

OK, so there's a new "Worst Part" of this scenario. I started this post 45 minutes ago in response to some of your feedback, and was interrupted by "I can't sleep........Who is going to teach me how to pitch now?" Ugh.... this goes from bad to worse.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hello FR.

"Basically the load and explode and the follow through, throwing the weight into the plant foot side. I can see frustration in her body language during the lessons."

And you have been going to the coach for a year. This is a red flag to me. I suspect this coach is hung up on speed and only speed?

Students get frustrated, so do parents and so can instyructors. I have reached that point myself sveral times.

Let me ask you a simple question; Which does your daughter enjoy more, taking out the garbage or playing her favorite video game? Its a no brainer, no need to answer. One is NOT fun, the other is. I am no different. One I want to be over as soon as possible, the other I could go for houirs. If the training session is not FUN, an 11 year old will not want to be there.

Having said all that, anything your daughter does that bothers, irritates or frustrates the instructor,,, that instructor should have figured those things out the first few months and you should have worked through them all way before now.

The instructor should be beyond all that way before now. The instructor should have figured out how to 'Reach' that particular student way before now. Your daughter should be looking forward to her lessons and having some fun in the process.

Is it possible this instructor has some personal issues in her life that is weighing on her and adding undue stress?

The instructor should have learned what makes YOUR daughter click, what she responds to, what fires her up, etc, lo ng before now.

How fast does this instructor expect her to be throwionmg after a year with her? How fast is she throwing?

Is she using terms like 'Primary and secondary energy transfers' to your daughter?? God I hope not! At 11 years old, I would not have liked her at all. She is a little kid, not a little adult.

I think the biggest compliment vI ever received as far as being an instructor goes, was when the owner of the academy where I was at said top a parent around the corner from me, "These young gIrls dfont like coach Hal, THEY LOVE COACH HAL!"

If an instructor cannot get that kind of reaction from the younger students, they need to work on their young 'People" skills.

Nov 29, 2009
I've done exactly the opposite. If the girl is disinterested, being lazy or just having a bad day. I cut it short. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by trying to beat something into a player.

Several weeks ago I had one of my students show up with a REALLY crappy attitude during the lesson. The family situation is it's a single mom who is not athletic at all, so the girl's older sister catches for her. The two of them seemed to be continuing a fight between them during the lesson; given the dagger looks and body language I was seeing going back and forth. The lesson was an absolute disaster so I put a halt to it.

I brought the both of them over by the mom and told them I was not going to waste my time and their mom's hard earned money trying to referee a fight. Along with that the pitcher was not working between lessons. I did not raise my voice. Rather, I talked to them and laid out some of the realities of life and what their mom sacrificed so they could play ball and take lessons. I told the pitcher I was not going to see her again until she made up her mind that she was going to be there 100% mentally during the lessons and that she had to work between them. After I was done talking to the girls mom mouthed a silent "Thank You" to me.

I got a call a week later from the mom. She said it was a real emotional ride home for both the girls that day. Mom told me the pitcher wanted to still take lessons and she was going to do the work between lessons. The next time I saw her and every subsequent lesson after she has been there 125%. I can tell she's been working. I'm able to move forward with just a slight review of the last lesson.

Sometimes a little shock and awe works. Berating a player almost never works.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz