Everyone must sit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much. With the time limited games chances of everyone sitting are very slim; not every game, at least.

Maybe a better rule would be to guarantee every player at least one inning per game.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I can honestly say that no member of my team ever sat out as much as my own daughter in her 10 years. For one I never wanted to be accused of daddy ball. Second, she never minded as she was always sitting right there "coaching" with the rest of us. ( I enjoyed that time ) And third, I wanted her pitching arm fresh as possible for when we hit the money games.

If a player or a player's parents can't take sitting every now and then.............somebody has a serious ego problem.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
11 girls! We will be struggling to be competitive all year, probably won't win much. Don't think this rule will help. After sitting a lot several years ago and now being a much better player, she is struggling with the concept.

Please, you're talking about 1 inning a game.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD is a starter on her team C and OF. I don't mind her sitting before or after catching. Their team carries 13 and the team philosophy is everyone sits. Our pitchers do a fair amount of sitting, seems they all play first.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
With 11 players, I would hope that all the girls would get some "rest" durnig a few games. Most tournaments have open substitution on pool games. I would think he means to rotate players during that time. Honestly wouldn't worry about it. If you had a roster of 15 or 18 girls, like some bigger organizations and that was stated, I'd be a little more worried.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If you had a roster of 15 or 18 girls, like some bigger organizations and that was stated, I'd be a little more worried.

I don't know. It seems to me that even with a roster that big, it would be to more of a benefit to the players if every player had to sit an inning. That would insure that the "non-star" players would get some time on the field instead of riding the pine waiting for a blow-out or injury to occur.

And remember why the re-entry rule was adopted by all softball organizations. If you we not around, it is a participation rule so all players would get a chance to play, but still give the coach the opportunity to save a win by bringing back the better players.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another thing it does is ensure you have players ready for all contingencies. If you only ever play one shortstop and then she gets hurt you will be in trouble.but if you force yourself to put someone else in that spot now and then you're ready if something should happen.

Ultimately, though, players don't sign up to win trophies. They sign up to play. The trophies are a bonus. Most kids would rather play and lose than sit and win.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Some things to consider here:
1. Your team is young and probably not going to be competitive.
2. You only have 11 girls on a 16U team.
3. Your players are (I'm assuming) 15, 16, and 17 yo this year.

I f I were the HC of this team, I would recognize that as a young team, it is important to get every player plenty of playing time. The goal should be to get everyone to contribute, and you can only do that by getting everyone substantial playing time on the field. Luckily with 11, you can do that without upsetting too many people. Given the age of your players, there will be substantial scheduling conflicts with other activities - jobs, school, boyfriends, etc., as well as potential injuries to key players. With 11 kids, you have to have a team that is flexible and as a coach be able to mix and match line ups and positions. With a larger team you have a bit more of a buffer, but with 11, your team is very thin, and you need to get all the girls experience so that the team can become more competitive as the season goes on.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
That is the problem with making it a rule! Games are fast paced enough, trying to track a stat like that and if you screw it up.....then people are ticked even if its a honest mistake.

everypne must play

We are playing on a extremely young first year 16 u team. (2 girls actually 16u and 5 eighth graders). I got my daughter involved, they offered her a roster spot. She has bonded with the girls, then the coach drops the bomb "everyone must sit a inning" what????? We played on Asa "a" teams where some girls never came (at least 5of them) out!! Does this sound like rec ball??

If they all paid the same which I'm pretty sure they did then the coach is doing what is right.11 players is very easy to work in all the girls especially in tour.Sounds like a Dad ego.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1