Everyone must sit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
We are playing on a extremely young first year 16 u team. (2 girls actually 16u and 5 eighth graders). I got my daughter involved, they offered her a roster spot. She has bonded with the girls, then the coach drops the bomb "everyone must sit a inning" what????? We played on Asa "a" teams where some girls never came (at least 5of them) out!! Does this sound like rec ball??

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It sounds like any TEAM sport. That means everyone plays and for everyone to play, someone has to sit.

If you think that your DD has to play every inning, I suggest you find a team that needs a coach and plays only the favorites.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
Never said everyone shouldn't play! But to say its mandatory everyone sits, never heard of it in travel!

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
11 girls! We will be struggling to be competitive all year, probably won't win much. Don't think this rule will help. After sitting a lot several years ago and now being a much better player, she is struggling with the concept.

Nov 14, 2011
So you admit that your team isn't competitive but have a problem with your daughter sitting? Did you miss the "team" philosophy?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I see your point, although I'll stop short of agreeing w/ you. On one hand, I believe girls should play. All 11 should have important roles on the team. But I don't necessarily think that rotating 11 girls in the field evenly is the only way or best way to achieve that. I had 11 girls last season, and my pitchers and catchers sat out the most because I only had two of each and felt they needed more rest. Don't know if I want to have a pre-set rotation that might have my ace shortstop on the bench in a 4-3 game in the final inning.

That said, it might be that this coach feels he has the kind of roster that allows this kind of rotation. Hard to second-guess it from afar.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Coogan makes a good point. Everyone needs to sit...but not every game. But, it is hard to tell exactly what the coach is planning.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I absolutely think everyone should sit, BUT:

1. I wouldn't make it a rule.
2. I wouldn't tell the team and parents.
3. Sit per situation. Pool games maybe rotate frequently. Bracket games with big lead, or obvious mismatch, sit key players multiple innings. Tough game, sit lower players multiple innings.
4. I wouldn't make it a rule.

You can be fair with play and not play equal time. The lower players know they are lower and usually realize they aren't going to be in quite as much. They key players usually know they are the key players and aren't offended by sitting and mine seem to be proud to sit several innings to set a good example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1