Ever cheated on your dd's pitching coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
I've been taking my dd's to the same pitching coach for over three years now and both my girls and I have been happy with him. At the same time I've been thinking lately that a second set of professional eyes might pick up on something different that their current coach isn't seeing so when I noticed a well known pitching coach who lives about 5 hours away from us had a video analysis service I videoed my dd's and emailed it to him to take a look at.

He replied saying that the uses the video analysis to supplement lessons for students he's already worked with personally and mentioned that he planned to give small group lessons about an hour away from where I live and asked if my dd's could attend. My oldest had a tourney that weekend but she's getting plenty of innings with her 14u team anyway but my youngest, who's 11 with a late year birthday, wasn't getting much circle time on her 12u team so I just brought her to the lesson.

His approach to pitching mechanics was not radically different than what my dd had been taught but he firmly believed that men and women have different muscle and skeletal structures that aren't always utilized by male pitching instructors with a men's fastpitch background, which my dd's coach has. As an example, he thought maintaining as consistently fast an arm circle as possible throughout the pitch was more advantageous than trying to accelerate and explode at the bottom of the circle the way most men pitch. He thought the accelerate and explode approach worked better for men because of their greater muscle density and stiffer bone structure but caused women to stiffen up and lose speed as well as negating their more flexible bone structure.

My dd was eager for me to put the rader gun on her the next day and I tried to preface it by telling her not to get too disappointed if any gains weren't apparently visible by the gun readings. Much to my surprise even on our rain soaked uncut backyard with no pitching rubber to push off of she picked up 3-4 mph and her cruising speed was at the occasional high readings we used to get in ideal conditions. He taught her a new pitch (screw) and had a few other different ideas about pitching we didn't have time to get into (he likes the rollover drop better than the peel).

I thought about pushing our scheduled lesson with their current coach to give this stuff more time to sink in but we're having a rainy week here and I figure it's business as usual for my older dd and I may as well find out if he notices any differences and see what he thinks of what my younger dd learned.

Despite the somewhat cheeky thread title I was planning to just tell him who we saw and what he did for my dd and see what he thought of it. I'll just say it was a fling and he lives too far away for us to start a regular affair with him.

Jul 1, 2010
I don't think it is unusual or strange that you would want a second opinion. My DD's coach encourages her to go to clinics, listen to advice from others and come back and discuss with him. He then gives her his thoughts on it. We have incorporated a few things, others we have decided to stick with her coach's technique.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I'm a firm believer in getting a second opinion. I love having discussions with my girls on how to do things... there is more than one way to skin a cat as we say so it is interesting to see how other people do things.

Oct 22, 2009
If you wish to see another pitching coach for a second opinion, make sure you educate yourself before hand on different pitching styles and what your actually looking for.

I know many coaches if you come and stop by will tell you they can add 5mph on your DD in just 2 lessons and the first thing they do is teach your DD a new pitch to get her excited.

Sure get the second opinion, but be realistic and realize a lot them can be good salesmen.

Also, if your planning on continuing to see your current instructor while seeing a second instructor, make sure you communicate that with your current instructor, in case there are some things that you may go back and forth over correcting and recorrecting.
Also, don't waste your class time working on a pitch from another instructor, if your current instructor doesn't feel your ready for it----) I've had that happen to me.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of my long time students went to a different instructor with her older sister, and came back doing a donkey kick and a power L. Well, at least he didn't teach her to slap her hip.

Mar 15, 2010
You mean like Arnold did on Maria with a staffer? No. I have taken my DD to pitching clinics (you know those fundraiser things that leagues do to raise money). She likes to see alternative styles and will sometimes incorporate small changes to her delivery. End of the day though she always goes back to her long term coach. The two of them have a great relationship and the coach has always let her explore her own style when it works.

May 18, 2009
At the moment I know what I've seen and I don't like the coaching around here. Youngest DD won't go to anyone for awhile and only if I find someone that knows how to teach IR.

I've watched a pitcher for the last few years here. She goes religiously to one instructor and I saw improvement two years ago but since then it's still the same. If it's not working maybe the parents should consider someone else.

jay

Mar 29, 2010
holland, oh
we're on our third PC. we stumbled on doug gillis and are fortunate enough to get a lesson from him every week. to say he is the man is an understatement. i believe his fastpitch background helps him articulate in a superior manner than others. he also has an innate ability to created drills on the fly to address whatever flaws he sees. a fresh set of eyes did wonders for us but when the fresh set of eyes is doug, you can't lose.

Oct 22, 2009
One of my long time students went to a different instructor with her older sister, and came back doing a donkey kick and a power L. Well, at least he didn't teach her to slap her hip.

Since I'm the only PC teaching IR around here, whenever my students leave they always have to change to push down, pull up delivery and or step style.

I hate seeing it, but those coaches make promises to them I won't make.

Feb 19, 2009
Alot of the new coach's speil is sales talk. With all due respect, his 'new approach' to female pitchers sounds like a lot of hogwash. There are so few male pitchers and many pitched over 20 years ago. Females are tall, stronger and lift more weights than ever. They are more muscular and taller than some male pitchers I saw in the [previous decade that goes without name, so as not to let on my age.] To say males explode on the downswing, et al, or females are loosy-goosy is BS. Add to that, that virtually no males are taking pitching lessons today, never mind teen males.

Sounds like he is making up for some folks who might have told him a woman should teach another woman.

I don't believe his point was that male and female students are learning to become fp pitchers and should therefore be taught differently, just that many retired male fp pitchers go on to give lessons to female students and teach them based on their experience in the mens game.

It could be a bunch of bs but I think it's bs he really believes is true rather than bs that's just designed to keep students away from former men's fp pitchers and coming back to him. He wouldn't need to do that, his dd is well known enough to generate as much business as he could possibly handle. I looked at some video clips of her to see if I could find any telltale signatures of his approach but didn't find any, could have been due to the pitch she was throwing in the clips though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1