Equipment bag question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Looking for a used, wheeled gear bag for DD, but I don't know which models are big enough to hold catcher's gear + batting helmet and both gloves. I found one yesterday at PIA but when I dropped a helmet into it I could see it would only hold the catcher's gear with no room left for the batting helmet.

What bags do you guys use? Or do you go with backpack + rolling bag?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD has used the Boombah Beast and is currently hauling a Maxball Cobra XL (the regular Cobra is too small). There are other bags that will get the job done - No Errors, Mizuno, etc. The one thing they all have in common is that they are BIG.

Another option is to go with a backpack and a smaller roller for the catchers gear.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Mine uses just the Boombah Beast. Catchers mask, chest protector, shin guards, 3 gloves, batting helmet, face mask, 2 bats, spikes, misc small junk all fits easily. Top pocket is a bit small and mesh on shoe pocket ripped quickly, but overall well made and rugged. If you don't care about color, there are quite a few for sale used online. They are worth the money if you buy new. If your catcher is as tough on bags as mine is you'll save money in long run by getting a new quality bag now.

She used to have the Rawlings All American. This was the best laid out and most sturdy bag she had. They stopped making them, but you can still find them used on eBay and in some independent sports shops online. I hear No Errors is good, but crazy expensive new. If you find one of those used, probably another good choice.

Word of advise... whatever bag you get make sure it has the side compartments for bats. The kind where bats store in back compartment were a nuisance. Once all the gear is in, bats will never slide down back compartment without jamming on something.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The two we've had good luck with are the Easton Stealth and the Mizuno MX. Both are durable and plenty big enough to hold the full complement of catching gear plus bat, batting helmet, gloves, etc.

The Easton is a snugger fit. The Mizuno is gigantic. I'd bet I could fit two full sets of catching gear in there along with everything else. When we travel with the team, it functions as a gear bag AND suitcase, all of her personal clothing will fit in there as well. Just gotta be careful not to go over the airline's weight limit.

We've used the Boombah Beast for the last two seasons and were unhappy with the quality. Broken zippers and ripped mesh are the norm with those. We switched to Mizuno this past August and not one of our catchers has had a single issue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mine uses just the Boombah Beast. Catchers mask, chest protector, shin guards, 3 gloves, batting helmet, face mask, 2 bats, spikes, misc small junk all fits easily. Top pocket is a bit small and mesh on shoe pocket ripped quickly, but overall well made and rugged. If you don't care about color, there are quite a few for sale used online. They are worth the money if you buy new. If your catcher is as tough on bags as mine is you'll save money in long run by getting a new quality bag now.

She used to have the Rawlings All American. This was the best laid out and most sturdy bag she had. They stopped making them, but you can still find them used on eBay and in some independent sports shops online. I hear No Errors is good, but crazy expensive new. If you find one of those used, probably another good choice.

Word of advise... whatever bag you get make sure it has the side compartments for bats. The kind where bats store in back compartment were a nuisance. Once all the gear is in, bats will never slide down back compartment without jamming on something.

My DD uses the side pockets on her Maxball (same as Boombah) for her legs, and uses the back compartment for her bats. Trying to get the legs inside the main compartment was always a pain.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We have used Mizuno and Boombah and had the best luck out of the Boombah. I guess it depends on luck sometimes. Her Mizuno bag had zipper issues and the Boombah through one full season (spring, summer, & fall) is still in great shape.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Used the maxball which was the biggest and best as far as I'm concerned. I actually still have it and use it for my equipment bag. After 2 years of TB abuse by DD, it's still in great shape. She has the Boombah Beast now for TB and after a year of abuse, there's holes in the bottom from when she drags it out of the car and swivels it around to get the wheels down. HS boosters bought her the Easton Stealth and I ended up having to buy her another this year since there were zipper and pocket tearing issues. I've heard nothing but great things about the No Errors bags though and I plan on buying those for my TB team this year.

Dec 1, 2015
Southern IL
DD uses the Easton 500c for catching equipment and Demarini Voodoo Backpack for Helmet mask fielding glove and current bats. She seems to like carrying both now. Last year being 10 and about 60lbs soaking wet a bag bigger than her was not working. I would usually have to lug to the car unless there was a smooth sidewalk from the fields.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is 17 now and we have gone through many bags over the years. The NoE2 bag will fit everything and seems like the one with the best quality but it is huge and cumbersome. DD has found that the two bag combo works the best for her - currently using a LS digi camo roller bag for her catcher's gear and a Boombah backpack bag for everything else...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877