Elite Travel Ball fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
She is a high academic kid with her sights on those schools which are typically D3 or Ivy. As of now she has offers to play but no money.

So basically I had a choice of going on Safari for the last 3 years, buying a porsche, a boat, a cabin or funding Boo's softball.

You will be waiting a long time for offers to play for money in DIII or Ivy, neither give athletic scholarships.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
You will be waiting a long time for offers to play for money in DIII or Ivy, neither give athletic scholarships.

Exactly.
For families of moderate or less means, the financial aid from an Ivy could be very good, but that is regardless of sports played.
For many kids, excelling at a sport is what gets one into an Ivy in the first place.
For men's rowing, there are no scholarships anywhere, which makes the Ivies extremely competitive.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ

Yes I know that. She has no D1 athletic offers. She has a number of D3 schools pursuing her.

As for the families of moderate funding...it must take some serious juggling to foot the traveling bill.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The up frount fee is OK, it is the travel that will cost you. As others have mentioned.

Equipment seems cheap once you start flying around.

Feb 15, 2016
I can tell you that most of the ones that travel to many showcases by plane and tried to recruit my DD were between $10,000 and up. That included 3 uniforms, bat bags, batting helmets, flights, hotel stays, outdoor fields, indoor facilities, coaching, etc. etc. These teams always play the top showcases around the country and cater to the top 25 D1 teams. I guess you get what you pay for.

That's crazy! So in two seasons of 14U, two seasons of 16U, and two seasons of 18U a family shells out $60,000. Pocket that cash, play local and regional tourneys on the best team available that travels regionally, and use the extra cash you saved to help pay for college while your DD is enjoying playing at a university closer to home.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
That's crazy! So in two seasons of 14U, two seasons of 16U, and two seasons of 18U a family shells out $60,000. Pocket that cash, play local and regional tourneys on the best team available that travels regionally, and use the extra cash you saved to help pay for college while your DD is enjoying playing at a university closer to home.

Unfortunately for some, not all, it's more about the ego. Probably more the parents ego than the players, but the ego trip usually rubs off on the player. I know of a couple girls from my area that have gone onto major SEC schools and they are not nice kids. Very snobbish and condescending.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
because with as many girls at Tennessee has on their roster I would be surprised if any of them have full athletic scholarships.

School me on your assumption here. UT seems to have about an average roster (20) that I can count on their website. Auburn on the other hand, has about 30 listed on their roster.

Also, according to Coach Weekly at camp this past June, a "scholarship at Tennessee is worth $250K". ;)

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
DD#1's team cost is $3500 plus travel. They go to CA twice, CO, FL, and VA twice each season, so total travel costs are typically an additional $9-10K. I have a sneaking suspicion that InsidePitch and I may know each other. :p

Assuming she finishes out her travel career on the same team, we will have paid out somewhere around $40,000 for her travel fees over the last three years. The scholarship she has earned has a 4-year value of approximately $240,000.

Ego? Not at all. For kids playing at the highest level, it's an investment. I'll be doing the same for DD#2 starting next year. It's a risk, certainly.

Jun 12, 2015

Amen. I would much rather do this. To each their own, I just don't think I'd want to do this. Besides being expensive it doesn't sound fun to me. I like to travel maybe once or twice a year.

Nov 18, 2013
DD#1's team cost is $3500 plus travel. They go to CA twice, CO, FL, and VA twice each season, so total travel costs are typically an additional $9-10K. I have a sneaking suspicion that InsidePitch and I may know each other. :p

Assuming she finishes out her travel career on the same team, we will have paid out somewhere around $40,000 for her travel fees over the last three years. The scholarship she has earned has a 4-year value of approximately $240,000.

Ego? Not at all. For kids playing at the highest level, it's an investment. I'll be doing the same for DD#2 starting next year. It's a risk, certainly.

I prefer to look at scholarships as a bonus. The investment is in the memories created. The odds of getting any money are against you, much less a full ride. For the kids that do make it a good number don’t last four years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06