Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for the great discussion. It has been a while since I have jumped into a hitting thread. I'm off to golf. The heat index for us today is 117-120. Tts been the same all week and I have golfed a minimum of 18 holes each day. Again, I appreciate the discussion.

I played today as well. Missed 3 21/2 ft. Putts today. 79. It wasn’t a bad day today at all. You do ok?

79 degrees w a slight breeze.. Hopefully you at least finished. 😆

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I played today as well. Missed 3 21/2 ft. Putts today. 79. It wasn’t a bad day today at all. You do ok?

79 degrees w a slight breeze.. Hopefully you at least finished. 😆
Yes, 78. I have been the only one on the course the last 3 days. I tee off after noon and the heat was intense. Local radio said that the heat index was 116 at that time. The temperature itself was 101. I play 3 holes and sit in the shade for a bit. There isn't anyone coming so I don't have to rush.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes, 78. I have been the only one on the course the last 3 days. I tee off after noon and the heat was intense. Local radio said that the heat index was 116 at that time. The temperature itself was 101. I play 3 holes and sit in the shade for a bit. There isn't anyone coming so I don't have to rush.
I hope your in a cart.
Can you explain "pelvic tilt to lateral tilt", please?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I hope your in a cart.
Can you explain "pelvic tilt to lateral tilt", please?
Sure but it is pretty simple. Most good hitters have to have a degree of pelvic tilt when they take their stance. The degree of tilt forward from the pelvis depends upon the hitter. Sometimes, I tell my hitters to have a sense of subtly sticking their butt out as they bend at the pelvis. (If you watch inefficient hitters, often you'll see them bend at the back. NOPE. BTW, in golf, it is the same. Golfers who bend in the back often hit behind the ball.) As the hitter adjusts to pitch location, they take that pelvic tilt into lateral tilt. Lateral tilt is a part of hitter adjustment. Adjustment isn't just the role of the hands. Take a look at the backside of Pujols in these two examples. On one, the pitch is waist-high or slightly higher. Notice that he didn't have to have a high degree of lateral tilt (Backside) to adjust to the pitch. Then, look at the second example and notice a lot more lateral tilt. If a hitter doesn't have the ability to transfer pelvic tilt to lateral tilt, they are spinning. I hope that this helps or at least that it makes sense.

CE0_ufJXIAECXgP.png

d93f583c772ecde9df2d411fd2c49ee8.jpg

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Sure but it is pretty simple. Most good hitters have to have a degree of pelvic tilt when they take their stance. The degree of tilt forward from the pelvis depends upon the hitter. Sometimes, I tell my hitters to have a sense of subtly sticking their butt out as they bend at the pelvis. (If you watch inefficient hitters, often you'll see them bend at the back. NOPE. BTW, in golf, it is the same. Golfers who bend in the back often hit behind the ball.) As the hitter adjusts to pitch location, they take that pelvic tilt into lateral tilt. Lateral tilt is a part of hitter adjustment. Adjustment isn't just the role of the hands. Take a look at the backside of Pujols in these two examples. On one, the pitch is waist-high or slightly higher. Notice that he didn't have to have a high degree of lateral tilt (Backside) to adjust to the pitch. Then, look at the second example and notice a lot more lateral tilt. If a hitter doesn't have the ability to transfer pelvic tilt to lateral tilt, they are spinning. I hope that this helps or at least that it makes sense.

CE0_ufJXIAECXgP.png

d93f583c772ecde9df2d411fd2c49ee8.jpg

1693060699001.gif

This is where cause and effect gets lost imo. I agree you need to have the chest over the plate or a bit of pelvic tilt. But the goal is to hit the ball.: the hands will orchestrate the goal.

As 1CA used to say, do you reach for the glass or do you extend up first? How about if you’re reaching down to get a pot? The hand will delay a bit. The body will support the action.

There’s an article about connection. Or what most thought was connection. I’ll try to find it. Just want your thoughts on it if you don’t mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC