DP is pitcher on lineup card

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Ok. I think I finally caught up. So you start the DP in the field with the Flex also on defense and another player who is hitting but not playing defense?
Yes, that's a key difference between DP and DH. Coaches should designate the DP based on possible interactions with the Flex instead of just designating a player that's only batting. NFHS's DP-FLEX Strategies for Coaches has good examples and some are counter-intuitive.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We always flex a great fielder who is a weak batter. We then basically rotate who is sitting out defensively every inning or rest one of our pitchers defensively (who are both great hitters) - who we can always enter into the game without a sub for any fielder as it is just a defensive position swap that doesn't even need to be reported to the umpire (except the flex who we want on the field defensively anyway). Works awesome in the heat and keeps our best 9 available to bat while not requiring them to play every inning in the field.

This is the strategy detailed here: DP / Flex Rule Explanation

Mar 13, 2010
If you're playing in a game in which lineup cards have been presented at the pre-game meeting to the PU, no matter what ruleset, you are required by rule to report ANY and ALL changes to the PU.

Any statement to the contrary, is inaccurate, and a rules violation. Penalties for these violations vary by ruleset, but all are dependent on when discovered and reported to the PU, and by which team.

Jun 13, 2014
This is kind of off the subject, but a couple of years ago I had a coach list her DP, the DP was also a backup Pitcher. When her starting pitcher would get tired she would put in her DP for her. This happened a couple of times and it was perfectly legal as the starting pitcher per the rule, had never left the game. Any thoughts on this?

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is kind of off the subject, but a couple of years ago I had a coach list her DP, the DP was also a backup Pitcher. When her starting pitcher would get tired she would put in her DP for her. This happened a couple of times and it was perfectly legal as the starting pitcher per the rule, had never left the game. Any thoughts on this?

Yep, we do this all the time. We have resting pitchers in the heat as the DP all the time.

It is just a defensive position change. You do need to report this to the umpire because you are bringing someone else in to pitch, but perfectly legal.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you're playing in a game in which lineup cards have been presented at the pre-game meeting to the PU, no matter what ruleset, you are required by rule to report ANY and ALL changes to the PU.

Any statement to the contrary, is inaccurate, and a rules violation. Penalties for these violations vary by ruleset, but all are dependent on when discovered and reported to the PU, and by which team.

Depends what you mean ANY and ALL. You don't have to report changes to where your players are fielding unless it involves a substitute, it is your Pitcher/Catcher (for courtesy runner and other position related rules) or I believe you are using the NCAA/college ruleset.

If I swap LF and RF there is no reporting requirements. In fact most rulesets don't even mention fielding positions on the field except for P & C. If I want to play all of my players in the infield I can. Or 7 in RF + P + C.... (not that I would want to do that).

Jun 22, 2008
If u have no subs wouldn't the courtesy runner be your last recorded out.

Not unless you have league modified rules. Any rule set I am aware of the courtesy runner must be a player who has not yet participated in the game.

Jun 11, 2013
Gundog, This situation game up in our game this weekend.

We started with only 9 players. We needed to remove our pitcher who is also our best hitter, but doesn't really play anywhere else. The relief pitcher was on the bench. If we wanted to keep her hitting and had started her as the DP as you suggested and had the relief pitcher as flex would that have let us keep her in the batting order?

Jun 22, 2008
You could do it by starting with the DP/Flex option, and then immediately dropping to 9 at the plate conference by removing the flex from the lineup and having the DP play defense at F1 in their place. When you then wanted the relief pitcher, but also keep the original F1 as a batter, you can re-enter the Flex into the lineup as F1 and retain the starting pitcher as the DP for batting purposes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00