DP is pitcher on lineup card

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
You could do it by starting with the DP/Flex option, and then immediately dropping to 9 at the plate conference by removing the flex from the lineup and having the DP play defense at F1 in their place. When you then wanted the relief pitcher, but also keep the original F1 as a batter, you can re-enter the Flex into the lineup as F1 and retain the starting pitcher as the DP for batting purposes.

I do this a lot in elimination games, specifically with a light-hitting/slick-fielding 1B/OF and a good-hitting/good-pitching/not-so-slick-fielding pitcher. Sometimes throws the other manager for a loop where they spend the next inning or two in the rulebook to see if I could do that, thereby diverting their attention from the game at hand.

Exactly as Comp says, I list my Flex as F1, and, at the lineup exchange, I insert my DP (pitcher) to play defense for the Flex. My other two pitchers are F5 and F3. If I need to warm up another pitcher, then the Flex goes back in at F7 (burning her re-entry, but she's not coming out anymore), F7 moves to F5, F5 comes out to warm up, and now my DP is playing defense for F5, but she's still pitching. That one really throws some coaches for a loop. Scorekeepers hate me. Once the relief pitcher is ready, then DP is no longer playing defense (back to DP only) and the reliever comes back in and is now pitching. If the new pitcher bogs down and I need to warm up F3, then DP goes in to play defense for F3, and F3 warms up. Once ready, F3 comes back in to play defense, but now at F1. DP goes back to batting only. 2nd F1 goes back to F5, 2nd F5 goes back to F7, Flex goes to F3. All of that and I've only burned 1 re-entry, and my line-up is the same and I've got all my subs available for insertion wherever I need them.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
Gundog, This situation game up in our game this weekend.

We started with only 9 players. We needed to remove our pitcher who is also our best hitter, but doesn't really play anywhere else. The relief pitcher was on the bench. If we wanted to keep her hitting and had started her as the DP as you suggested and had the relief pitcher as flex would that have let us keep her in the batting order?

I'm curious canyonjoe. Was your relief pitcher on the bench a better batter than any of the players in the field other than, I assume, your starting pitcher?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207