DP is pitcher on lineup card

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Im not following you. The flex must play defense, if the flex is not on the field you would have an ureported substitution situation. The DP can play defense for anyone except the flex and it is not a substitution. If the DP does play defense for the flex then the flex has left the game and would have to use their reentry to come back.

Ok. I think I finally caught up. So you start the DP in the field with the Flex also on defense and another player who is hitting but not playing defense?

Jun 10, 2014
Im not following you. The flex must play defense, if the flex is not on the field you would have an ureported substitution situation. The DP can play defense for anyone except the flex and it is not a substitution. If the DP does play defense for the flex then the flex has left the game and would have to use their reentry to come back.

Comp - where is the unreported substitution in that situation? Maybe in situation where coach forgets to tell ump Flex has left game and you are down to 9 in lineup?

Jun 22, 2008
Comp - where is the unreported substitution in that situation? Maybe in situation where coach forgets to tell ump Flex has left game and you are down to 9 in lineup?

If you are using the DP/Flex and the flex is not out on the field on defense some other player is playing in the flex's position. If the umpire has not been informed of the change it is an unreported substitution.

Jun 10, 2014
If you are using the DP/Flex and the flex is not out on the field on defense some other player is playing in the flex's position. If the umpire has not been informed of the change it is an unreported substitution.

The flex can be on the bench, lineup goes down to 9, there are no substitutions.

Jun 10, 2014
Ok. I think I finally caught up. So you start the DP in the field with the Flex also on defense and another player who is hitting but not playing defense?

Yes, not playing defense in that first inning.....but she may play defense the next....

Jun 22, 2008
The flex can be on the bench, lineup goes down to 9, there are no substitutions.

You cant just drop to 9 players without informing the umpire. If you drop to 9 and the flex is on the bench, the DP is playing defense for the flex. It does essentially count as a sub for the flex and could be caught as such by the opposing team.

Jun 10, 2014
You cant just drop to 9 players without informing the umpire. If you drop to 9 and the flex is on the bench, the DP is playing defense for the flex. It does essentially count as a sub for the flex and could be caught as such by the opposing team.

Comp - in my humble opinion, not sure how someone already in the game (DP) can be counted as a substitute? This is simply the flex leaving the game, no one is substituting for the flex.

Jun 22, 2008
Its not a sub for the DP, but it does count as one for the flex. The flex has left the game and must use a reentry to come back into the game. You cannot just flip back and forth between 10 and 9 players without informing the umpire. If the DP is playing defense for the flex, it must be reported to the umpire.

Look at this the other way around, if you were to bat the flex for the dp do you think you can do it without informing the umpire? It is the same if the dp is playing defense for the flex.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Comp - which unreported sub effects are possible when it is discovered/protested? I would think just the defensive ones.

Jun 10, 2014
We are on the same page here with informing the umpire since it is a line-up change......we're just using different terminology on what is happening with the flex - I'm not sure how the flex leaving the game and re-entering is considered a "substitution" in and of itself.....seems like it's simply a line-up change (from 10 to 9) with re-entry limitations for that individual player.

Although as I type this I wonder what rules would govern the penalty for not reporting the Flex re-entry? Would it be an illegal re-entry or an unreported substitution (different penalties) which is what I think you are saying Comp or something else I can't seem to find in the book? I'm not sure how it would be an unreported substitution since they are not subbing for anyone? Nor am I sure how it would be an illegal re-entry since she was put in the correct spot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413