door knocking knuckles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
IMO grip is so important, bat lays across base of fingers, not too weak or too strong, too strong a grip can results in early wrist roll, too deep in the palm can add more tension and result in a slower swing. An ax handle is oval and I use one to help kids feel the grip, you want to grab a bat like an ax handle IMO. You want to make sure you are palm up palm down at contact, if you cannot open the hands a contact and be palm up and palm down you need to make corrections. Proper grip allows you to release the bat head into the hitting zone and keep it there throughout the swing and extension IMO.

The clinics I’ve attended and information I’ve read talks about the proper grip early and often in the instruction, IMO the proper grip has an influence in other mechanics of a proper swing. If I remember correct Howard/Hitter advised the quickest improvement they saw at clinics was with a proper grip and they measured the results by checking bat head speed, before and after. :cool:

Forgot to add I think the Bat Jack is a great tool for the proper grip!!!!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
IMO grip is so important, bat lays across base of fingers, not too weak or too strong, too strong a grip can results in early wrist roll, too deep in the palm can add more tension and result in a slower swing. An ax handle is oval and I use one to help kids feel the grip, you want to grab a bat like an ax handle IMO. You want to make sure you are palm up palm down at contact, if you cannot open the hands a contact and be palm up and palm down you need to make corrections. Proper grip allows you to release the bat head into the hitting zone and keep it there throughout the swing and extension IMO.

The clinics I’ve attended and information I’ve read talks about the proper grip early and often in the instruction, IMO the proper grip has an influence in other mechanics of a proper swing. If I remember correct Howard/Hitter advised the quickest improvement they saw at clinics was with a proper grip and they measured the results by checking bat head speed, before and after. :cool:

I agree 100% and this was well spoken. There are subtle changes that make huge differences in outcome. I was working with a Slovakian girl named Barbara Killer (no joke, and her brother's name is Christian) at a clinic in Croatia. I noticed all the girls were choking the saw dust out of the aluminum bats. There were about 30 members of the National teams there. I got them around Barbara, and had them watch her swing. I had placed a deflated volleyball (which I use sparingly) on a tee and held it there with a finger tip, and had her hit it. I changed her grip (including knuckle orientation; "wedding ring" alignment) and had them watch her again. A big difference in bat-head speed! I heard a lot of "whoa's" and "oye's". One habit they were having in front toss was beating inside pitches in the dirt (hands rolling over early). I must confess I don't have any Bat Jacks, but should. And I am a believer. Thanks Peppers!

I want to point out some habits I see that will rehash some issues. First, door knocking knuckles perfectly lined up, palms perfectly aligned CAN promote hitting under the ball, resulting in a lot of popups. It can also result in promoting a tucked or leading back elbow, often getting ahead of the hands, which reduces bat speed and power. The "wedding band" alignment (a term I just learned) solves this issue.

A grip that doesn't allow a front or bottom hand bent wrist will result in early wrist roll, topping the ball, a slower bat head speed, reduced power, and trouble on inside pitches because it reduces the flexibility to get the hands INSIDE the inside pitch.

IMHO the grip is just as important as any other element of the swing with the possible exception of balance.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
Here's the real thing :)....the knuckle orientation IS part of the grip. The bat should be held in the base of the fingers with a forementioned knuckle alignment. The bat in the base of the fingers will give accuracy, quickness, and power. The knuckle alignment will allow the hands and wrist to work properly together, The knuckle alignment is key in adding power, staying on plane, and not rolling over early.

ps. It is also possible to have a 'terrible grip' with the bat being held in the base of the fingers.

Here's the thing ..... the knuckle orientation is not the grip. It is very possible to have a 'terrible grip' with whatever 'knuckle orientation' you push. Yet I do agree that the 'grip' is important ..... but I'm with Jim ... I'm not big on pushing the knuckle orientation and would rather it be a 'result'.

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks Peppers, good info! I can tell from your post that you've been doing this awhile :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here's the real thing :)....the knuckle orientation IS part of the grip. The bat should be held in the base of the fingers with a forementioned knuckle alignment. The bat in the base of the fingers will give accuracy, quickness, and power. The knuckle alignment will allow the hands and wrist to work properly together, The knuckle alignment is key in adding power, staying on plane, and not rolling over early.

ps. It is also possible to have a 'terrible grip' with the bat being held in the base of the fingers.

One can have a proper grip, and what you consider a proper knuckle alignment, yet orientate their wrists to give a poor forearm/wrist relationship that degrades their swing. On the other hand, one can grip the bat correctly, and set the angles correctly, ... and simply let the knuckle orientation take care of itself ... and they'll be good to go. To me anyway, knuckle orientation is more the result of a proper grip and the setting of the angles ... I wouldn't perform any twisting thereafter to satisfy someone's perception of a particular knuckle orientation.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
The main key to all of this is having a grip on the bat that promotes more bat-speed and more bat-control. Ligning up the knuckles alone doesn't guarantee that... holding the bat in you fingers alone doesn't guarantee that either.

The angle of the bat handle in the hand as well as which fingers of the hands are engaged in the grip is what matters.

A player can do all of the so called "correct" methods to a grip, but if he doesn't put a grip on the handle that produces bat-speed and bat-control, it is all pointless.

Bat Jack Grip Trainer - Baseball Softball swing aid develops grip

May 22, 2011
it does seem in many of the clips posted that at contact the bat has slid back into the v created by the thumb and palm or what some describe as the meat of the hand instead of the base of the fingers

Oct 10, 2011
"Forgot to add I think the Bat Jack is a great tool for the proper grip"
Been hearing so much about this that I gave in and ordered one. Anxious to see the results.

May 22, 2011
the problem isnt that i am not athletic enough, im an old guy who always could hit and still can, but many of the young girls i teach are not so naturally athletic, they need lots of direction and i am willing to listen to others who are successful to remedy their problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32