Does this make sense?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She's a pitcher and a junior. Can the offer change between now and her senior year? I think her family was hoping for a full-ride but have said that they will bridge the difference in the past. Getting absolutely no money the first year (coach made no mention of speaking with admissions about academic money whatsoever) is a huge bridge.

The offer can always change until the players signs the NLI. Sometimes the changes can be positive (increase) and sometimes they can be negative (decrease). Your best option is to negotiate the best deal you can up front because once your DD signs, the coach would prefer to spend any extra money they have on new players vs. existing.

Sep 29, 2014
If she really wants the challenge, can get accepted into the D3 and their is academic money it can be a good fit...just don't forget about the academic side in pursuit of a softball scholarship. If they are really great academically I've never understood why more don't go the Ivy route, it's tough to get in but most kids whose parents make under $60K a year go free and under $125K is greatly reduced.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Questions: How do you make sense of the D3 offer (or statement)? If you were the parent, what would you do? Go the D1 route? Go the D3 route?

Early recruiting really handicaps the D3 schools because they cannot offer athletic scholarships, and it is virtually impossible to project a players ability to qualify for academic money when they are in 8th and 9th grade...that said, if your DD's teammate can get 4 years of school paid for at a mid-major D1 that is hard to turn down. If she does well academically should could graduate in 4 years and get a year of graduate school under her belt.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If she really wants the challenge, can get accepted into the D3 and their is academic money it can be a good fit...just don't forget about the academic side in pursuit of a softball scholarship. If they are really great academically I've never understood why more don't go the Ivy route, it's tough to get in but most kids whose parents make under $60K a year go free and under $125K is greatly reduced.

Ivy League schools are great, but they are very difficult to qualify for academically unless your DD is a superstar in the classroom. They also tend to recruit later than others because of the stringent academic requirements.

Jul 4, 2014

My dd's teammate is an honor roll student based on a lightly-challenging course load. She would likely struggle at a highly academic school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My dd's teammate is an honor roll student based on a lightly-challenging course load. She would likely struggle at a highly academic school.

Having just been through this with my DD, high standard academic schools do not want to just see a good GPA and SAT/ACT test score. They go through a students transcript with a fine tooth comb looking for academically challenging courses and if someone does not have a significant number of AP and Honors level classes the admissions office wants to know why.

When my DD was verballed to her original school (pretty good academically) their academic adviser told us that they did not give extra consideration for AP or Honors classes, so DD did not sign up for any her senior year. When DD decided to change her verbal commitment to a school with higher academic standards it became a BIG deal. We had several conference calls with coaches and administrators trying to explain why DD was not taking any AP classes. Admissions finally agreed to admit her when DD agreed to register her for an additional AP course next semester and I think my DD is still on "double secret probation"!

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
They go through a students transcript with a fine tooth comb looking for academically challenging courses and if someone does not have a significant number of AP and Honors level classes the admissions office wants to know why.

Curious how important taking the AP Exam is in your experience?

Our district has started decreasing the number of AP courses offered,
in favor of honors courses termed "Fast Forward".

To me it seems like a budget-reducing move,
and one I don't think that I am in favor of,
although Fast-Forward Students may elect to take the AP Exams in June, if they want to.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Curious how important taking the AP Exam is in your experience?

Our district has started decreasing the number of AP courses offered,
in favor of honors courses termed "Fast Forward".

To me it seems like a budget-reducing move,
and one I don't think that I am in favor of,
although Fast-Forward Students may elect to take the AP Exams in June, if they want to.

AP exams never really came up. I think they are only important if the students wants to claim college credit for the class.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
her family was hoping for a full-ride

Full Ride? Most likely delivered via unicorn. Haven't heard of many full rides for SB.
Lots of 1/2 scholarships and academic subsidies based on how much the coach wants
the player.

Getting back to OP: Put together a well thought out list of pointed questions. Player needs to contact
coach with these questions for some solid answers.

Congrats to her on the journey!

Jul 4, 2014
AP exams never really came up. I think they are only important if the students wants to claim college credit for the class.

Exactly what I'm concerned about. DD took 1 AP in her so. year. School course grade: B, but got a 5 on the AP exam. She's taking 5 APs this year as a jr. She's working really hard - harder than she's ever worked and she'll likely end off the year with 5 Bs for her AP classes but might do better on the AP exam. She said that the AP exam last year was easier than the AP quizzes and tests she wrote in class. If the colleges don't take her AP exam into consideration, she'd be applying with a less than stellar gpa. We're not concerned about college credit. Just concerned about getting accepted to a high academic school. Yikes! How should we approach this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi