Conversations this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I had a busy weekend with people asking my opinions on things like schools to send emails to, teams to tryout out for and coaching in general. I wanted to post some stuff without betraying their trust but to address some of these questions. This was mostly for softball but it can apply to baseball.

If you are going to be a senior and you are just now trying to figure out where your child should attend, you are way behind in the recruiting process. When your player is a freshman, you should be thinking about schools and by the time they are a sophomore, they should have already filled out several school's "Recruit Me" web forms. Your player should have already made a few email contacts knowing that college coaches can't talk to them. The point is to dip the toe into the water. If you are waiting until your player's senior year, you have to consider JUCOs as a viable option. Of course they are actually a great option for many but for some somehow they look down on this. Personally I should have taken that route. It saves your parents some money, the competition is outstanding at many JUCOs and academically a player can get some of the mandatory classes out of the way.

Per tryouts, I had a parent talk to me about the tryout process since they have had their child play in the same program since she started playing. As simple as I could state it, that kid can play. You don't have any worries. Have her show up, do what she does and everything will take care of itself. If she doesn't make that well know team, you will have so many other options. At times, you have to weigh the benefits of increasing the level of play and there is a time when some players need to take that next step. It isn't all about playing with friends if that player has a very high level of ability and wants to play at an outstanding school.

This next one is tough. I saw a coach say to a player, "when was the last time you actually got a hit that mattered to this team." That was said loud enough that we all heard it. You might guess the player's reaction. This player is a hard charger and now I know why this player no longer loves the game. The young lady has been telling the parents what the coach has been saying to her and the parents have been in denial until this point. When this happened, they finally "got it." The mother was outraged and should have been. The dad simply said that the player will not be back and they walked off. Who does that to kids! I love the game and I hate it when some jerk takes a kid and destroys them little by little until they are beaten down. BTW, this player is a catcher and has played through so many injuries in the past for this team/coach. This year, this team has not played much and so for this coach to say that is even more unbelievable.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
This next one is tough. I saw a coach say to a player, "when was the last time you actually got a hit that mattered to this team." That was said loud enough that we all heard it. You might guess the player's reaction. This player is a hard charger and now I know why this player no longer loves the game. The young lady has been telling the parents what the coach has been saying to her and the parents have been in denial until this point. When this happened, they finally "got it." The mother was outraged and should have been. The dad simply said that the player will not be back and they walked off. Who does that to kids! I love the game and I hate it when some jerk takes a kid and destroys them little by little until they are beaten down. BTW, this player is a catcher and has played through so many injuries in the past for this team/coach. This year, this team has not played much and so for this coach to say that is even more unbelievable.
:mad:

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Cannonball - I take NO joy in saying this but that kind of BS is out there and much more prevalent than some of you have been willing to believe. Some of these coaches should not even be around kids let alone being held up as some type of role model. They are NOT in it for the kids but rather feeding their own perversely self-inflated ego.

Jun 26, 2020
It's sad. I've actually taken up for an opposing team during their post game meeting. The coach was furious, but said nothing. I'm constantly amazed at what coaches tell kids and what parents allow to be said to their children

One of the funniest scenarios was when we finished up a dogfight and we won 3-1. My daughter was the winning pitcher and the other teams pitcher was fantastic. As we're walking off the field to take a break I hear their coach in The dugout questioning their heart. I interrupted and congratulated their pitcher and the whole team for the battle. I also pointed at the pitcher and said the funniest thing of all is that your coach can't hit off of you or my daughter.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't mean any disrespect for other position players but to say this to a catcher who catches a vast majority of games is beyond belief. Pitchers and catchers are the heart of the team. Why would you verbally say that to someone who you know is a driving force on your team? Why would you say it to anyone.

Jun 26, 2020
I don't mean any disrespect for other position players but to say this to a catcher who catches a vast majority of games is beyond belief. Pitchers and catchers are the heart of the team. Why would you verbally say that to someone who you know is a driving force on your team? Why would you say it to anyone.
People are stupid.

In my area catchers are harder to find than pitchers. I hear the same thing throughout the country when I'm traveling

Jun 27, 2018
I had a busy weekend with people asking my opinions on things like schools to send emails to, teams to tryout out for and coaching in general. I wanted to post some stuff without betraying their trust but to address some of these questions. This was mostly for softball but it can apply to baseball.

If you are going to be a senior and you are just now trying to figure out where your child should attend, you are way behind in the recruiting process. When your player is a freshman, you should be thinking about schools and by the time they are a sophomore, they should have already filled out several school's "Recruit Me" web forms. Your player should have already made a few email contacts knowing that college coaches can't talk to them. The point is to dip the toe into the water. If you are waiting until your player's senior year, you have to consider JUCOs as a viable option. Of course they are actually a great option for many but for some somehow they look down on this. Personally I should have taken that route. It saves your parents some money, the competition is outstanding at many JUCOs and academically a player can get some of the mandatory classes out of the way.

Per tryouts, I had a parent talk to me about the tryout process since they have had their child play in the same program since she started playing. As simple as I could state it, that kid can play. You don't have any worries. Have her show up, do what she does and everything will take care of itself. If she doesn't make that well know team, you will have so many other options. At times, you have to weigh the benefits of increasing the level of play and there is a time when some players need to take that next step. It isn't all about playing with friends if that player has a very high level of ability and wants to play at an outstanding school.

Words matter to these girls. I don’t care how mentally tough you think your kid is. I would have walked off with my kid too. She’s at the age now though she can pick out a jerk and she’s learning to tune them out. But still....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2009
Don't you think this is often positioned as a 'feature' rather than a 'bug'on some high-level teams? I know I've seen it positioned that way at a few teams in the area I live. Often long-time older male coaches/program leads or younger, ex-college female players. Both types see themselves as truth-telling hard-*sses who nonetheless 'love' their players. Which is usually tolerable if the team is doing well and for the players that are getting most of the playing time. But when things go south in such situations, they tend to go south in quick and ugly fashion.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Don't you think this is often positioned as a 'feature' rather than a 'bug'on some high-level teams? I know I've seen it positioned that way at a few teams in the area I live. Often long-time older male coaches/program leads or younger, ex-college female players. Both types see themselves as truth-telling hard-*sses who nonetheless 'love' their players. Which is usually tolerable if the team is doing well and for the players that are getting most of the playing time. But when things go south in such situations, they tend to go south in quick and ugly fashion.
This is a good point.
There are times when the coach's reputation harsh or not precedes them and people will choose to play for them.
Variety of coaching styles/personalities/people.

Prefer POSITIVE 👍

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We can all agree winning is great, who doesn't like to win? But give me a coach who is positive, who teaches the game correctly, builds character, and builds up and believes in his/her players, I'll take that coach everyday of the week!

Was having a conversation with OsDad yesterday, telling him about Anna's coach on her 14U National team, she's the only person I think I've ever said I hated! I wanted to choke her......just until she turned a little blue, she was a drunk, look at me, miserable human being!! We were playing in Florida and a Dad came real close to stomping the life out of her, it was ugly, too ugly! I instantly became that Dad's biggest fan!

"Look at me coaches" ruin everything about the game for players & parents!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles