Do you use a pitching machine if your practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PaPa Pump

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Why or why not. I see it as a great way to hit every practice. So many times u just don't have time

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Yes - it's a fun station for the team and gives them better pitches to swing at then coach pitch.
It's great for adjusting to speeds.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
We have two batteries the we use... as long as we don't forget charge them, we never have an issue. Usually, one battery per practice works. Well, except one time a battery overheated because of the hot weather. We can plug into an outlet but have not needed to. I would assume a small generator would be fine.

We've even used the machine during pre-game warm ups.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am one of those that does not use the machine, ever. I used it in the cage every day, when i first coached at the junior college. Then, I wondered why my girls couldn't hit. The baseball coach had to school me in why not to use it very much. I went to not using it at all. I suppose I could incorporate a top machine, but the single wheeled Jugs I only use for outfield fly balls.

The local rec league uses one, because they have it and they lost one of my pitchers to a broken hand, because the coach cranked up the speed too much.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
We've had success using the machine with both oldest DD's team when she played and now youngest DD's teams. The key, IMO, is making sure it is one part of a full compliment of hitting stations (tee, toss, swing-aways, etc) Working the right speeds is also critical. I have seen teams where the coaches crank the machine to the highest setting.

In early practices, we usually adjust the speed to the hitter to get them comfortable with their mechanics and timing; also having some contact to build confidence. We progress to increasing speeds (during sessions and over the progression of the season) and also still adjust by hitter. It doesn't do any good to crank it up on someone who's mechanics are faulty. For pre-game warm up, we set the speed the same for all players; somewhere around what we think we'll be facing.

The machine is a Jugs Lite Flite combo (BB and SB) M600. Since we go it years ago the model numbers have changed but it looks the same. We lent it to a friend for his son's BB team for a couple years and they loved it. (we have a large gap between old DD and young DD)
Jugs Lite-Flite Combo BB/SB Pitching Machine

The batteries we have are from Jugs - Werker View attachment 6348

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 73
Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Haven't had any issues with the machine from 35/40 feet.....From 40 ft at top speed it simulates speed of up to 85 MPH. It's not actually 85 MPH. Keep in mind, the model we have is older than the one from the link.

Find a machine that suits your needs but to answer your original question, using a machine for practices has worked well.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Should have been more clear - comment in reference of the need to be close - if being used for BB then it needs to be closer 40 ft/top speed gets you at 85MPH. Forgot to mention, one of the things I like about this machine is that you can adjust the size balls. We originally used the bigger softball size balls and as the girls got older we switched to the smaller ones. Now for youngest DD we use the smaller ones all the time.

Hope you find one that suits your needs and at a good price. :)

Aug 1, 2014
It's a tool and can be used, a pitching machine is more accurate and will give more reps than a player or coach can give in a single practice. My girls will get at least 50 to 75 swings off the machine, and around 25 bunts. Around 25 from a pitcher and another 50 to 100 between a soft toss and tee station. that's around 125 to 200 pitches. times 12 I cant throw that many and wont have a 14 year old pitcher, 2 if I'm lucky throw that many. using my hitting stations like this they get a variety of things to swing at, I now got to split up 300 pitches between my pitchers and coaches, saves the Arms and lots of cuts. now it takes a well organized team to get this done in a hour and a half so It's usually ever other practice, and I verify the 2 stations the tee might work on different aspects of the swing and soft toss might work with a thunder stick and the golf whiffle balls.

May 29, 2013
If you use a pitching machine correctly and not just turn it up to impossile, you can do good things with them. The problem with them is there is not a body lunging and a arm windmilling attached to them. Turn it down and focus on mechanics. Turn it up gradually.

I don't care for them myself, but i do see a small benefit for saving arms and consistency.

Jun 9, 2014
I would think the biggest part of hitting live pitching is timing. How can you practice all the timing nuances of hitting when there is no human to read? Even with front toss and side toss, hitters get timing from the throwers motion.

I've seen coaches stand next to a machine and put their arm in the air like they're simulating a windup, drop their arm and put a ball in the chute. LoL, it's never even close to accurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877