Do you have pitcher cover?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
They need to call it? why? 1B can see the ball the whole time. It's easier to catch than an overhand ball that the 1B loses sight of for a split second. Any quick comebacker directly to or to the 1B side of P ALWAYS has time to take four or five strides and an underhand flip. I don't care if it's a world class sprinter in the box. I HAVE never seen a bang bang play at 1B when the pitcher has time to take four or five strides towards 1B. High division 1 players do it ALL the time.

as for this gem: "If you bunt 20 consecutive times up 1st baseline with my pitcher defending the bunt. I will gladly take the 18 outs you are giving me. "

are you saying your bunt defense has a better than 90% success rate? I assume you don't even crash third either, because your P can handle bunts up the line. That's good stuff.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
They need to call it? why? 1B can see the ball the whole time. It's easier to catch than an overhand ball that the 1B loses sight of for a split second.

We have always trained our players to call "flip" whenever they are going to make a flip toss instead of an overhead throw in order to alert the player receiving the throw. Probably not necessary 100% of the time, but it is a good habit to be in, just like calling pop flies even when they are right to you.

Nov 8, 2014
Maybe I'm a little confused. I'm only talking about a pitcher fielding a quick comebacker and running towards first and throwing a ball underhand to the 1B who is on the bag and waiting for the ball. That pitcher is going to be inside 25 feet and on the move towards first and the ONLY throw to 1B is the underhand flip. I don't see any reason on a play like that, or ever for that matter, for a thrower to describe their throw to the baseman.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
... "If you bunt 20 consecutive times up 1st baseline with my pitcher defending the bunt. I will gladly take the 18 outs you are giving me. "

are you saying your bunt defense has a better than 90% success rate? I assume you don't even crash third either, because your P can handle bunts up the line. That's good stuff.

I think it depends on the pitcher. I have one pitcher that is extremely athletic with a very good riseball and we that you will bunt on her. I tell my corners and catcher to stay out of her way. With her in the circle teams rarely get hits on bunts. Conversely I have one pitcher that is a liability in the circle when it comes to small ball.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They need to call it? why? 1B can see the ball the whole time. It's easier to catch than an overhand ball that the 1B loses sight of for a split second. Any quick comebacker directly to or to the 1B side of P ALWAYS has time to take four or five strides and an underhand flip. I don't care if it's a world class sprinter in the box. I HAVE never seen a bang bang play at 1B when the pitcher has time to take four or five strides towards 1B. High division 1 players do it ALL the time.

as for this gem: "If you bunt 20 consecutive times up 1st baseline with my pitcher defending the bunt. I will gladly take the 18 outs you are giving me. "

what I am saying is that my pitcher covers the bunt as well as any first baseman can, and by keeping first base at first we end up with a more successful team defense because everyone knows what base they are covering every time and the proper player is in position to take the throw and make adjustments for bad throws at first base.

Just because you don't have a kid who can do it on your team you don't have to get all snarky. Maybe you should open up your mind to ideas other then your own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi