Do you have pitcher cover?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
On my 18U team when there is a fast slapper my 2B has to sprint full out to 1B to be in time for the throw. No way a pitcher gets there. When you get a 2B that can get there and handle the throw with somebody sprinting right at her you are very fortunate.
I have seen with a real fast slapper up that sometimes teams keep their 1b back and have 2nd move in to cover the slap. Seen it done the more conventional way also.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
2nd base covers 1B. Shorter base paths make it very difficult for a P to cover 1B, plus a P needs to be able to field bunts.

Nov 8, 2014
Brand new member here. Never been in fastpitch message board before. I hope this is an active site. If you all frequent any other fastpitch forums that are more active, please let me know what they are.

In regards to P covering first on shots toward the hole at 2nd when 1B fields the ball...many of you say the pitcher cant get there, and I totally disagree. On the perfect hit between 1B and 2B, P has to be heading that way on contact, just like in the MLB. Both fielders 1B and 2B go after ball. ALWAYS!!! Without exception. 2B can continue to bag at first if 1B fields the ball, but P will typically get there faster everytime and at a more advantageous angle coming up the line. It would be a close collision, but P gets the throw. But this is the perfect play for the perfectly placed ball. If a ball is hit fat to the 1B, then 1B takes the ball on their own to the bag or straight to the batter-runner for the put out.

As for those of you on bunts who keep their 1B at the bag and have 2B covering second, Im going to bunt up your 1B line for 20 straight batters until you change that defensive set up. There is no way your P can cover that mid way 1B line and expect to get my bunters...who will always be bunting from the left on you. 1B or an athletic 2B HAS TO defend that side of the infield. Period! Short covers second and LF heads to 3B. The LF is attacking the infield on contact. P and 3B never retreat to 3B, they are attacking the bunt. (However - runner on second, short covers 3B, CF covers 2B).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Brand new member here. Never been in fastpitch message board before. I hope this is an active site. If you all frequent any other fastpitch forums that are more active, please let me know what they are.

In regards to P covering first on shots toward the hole at 2nd when 1B fields the ball...many of you say the pitcher cant get there, and I totally disagree. On the perfect hit between 1B and 2B, P has to be heading that way on contact, just like in the MLB. Both fielders 1B and 2B go after ball. ALWAYS!!! Without exception. 2B can continue to bag at first if 1B fields the ball, but P will typically get there faster everytime and at a more advantageous angle coming up the line. It would be a close collision, but P gets the throw. But this is the perfect play for the perfectly placed ball. If a ball is hit fat to the 1B, then 1B takes the ball on their own to the bag or straight to the batter-runner for the put out.

As for those of you on bunts who keep their 1B at the bag and have 2B covering second, Im going to bunt up your 1B line for 20 straight batters until you change that defensive set up. There is no way your P can cover that mid way 1B line and expect to get my bunters...who will always be bunting from the left on you. 1B or an athletic 2B HAS TO defend that side of the infield. Period! Short covers second and LF heads to 3B. The LF is attacking the infield on contact. P and 3B never retreat to 3B, they are attacking the bunt. (However - runner on second, short covers 3B, CF covers 2B).

So who's responsible for praying that the ball doesn't get by your OFers covering the bases, letting all the runners score?

Nov 8, 2014
So who's responsible for praying that the ball doesn't get by your OFers covering the bases, letting all the runners score?

Well, picture the play....My CF is covering 2B when there is a runner on 2B or 1B and 2B. On the bunt we are getting the out at first on a perfect bunt and the force at third on a poor bunt with SS covering. There will NEVER be a throw from the middle of the field to second with CF covering. It may come from SS at third but that ball is being backed up by RF. And the 2B who just made a play at 1B will never throw to 2B because there will be a runner on 3B, and we aren't throwing behind runners when there is a runner on 3B, unless there two outs and the runner at 2B takes a wide turn, in which case we nail em for out three and LF has that cover. P and 3B will hustle to back up foul territory at 3B regardless of whether SS or LF is covering third.

Nov 8, 2014
With a throw to first - RF backs up that throw. The moment RF sees the throw going to 3B, she's sprinting to back up 2B. That is the only possible spot for missing a poorly thrown ball. And you were RARELY ever see the throw from SS at 3B to 2B.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Something else I would like to add to this thread. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for a pitcher to be able to field her position. A good pitcher will get a lot of weak ground balls coming off the bat, and the more balls she can field and make a good throw the better!

Nov 8, 2014
Something else I would like to add to this thread. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for a pitcher to be able to field her position. A good pitcher will get a lot of weak ground balls coming off the bat, and the more balls she can field and make a good throw the better!

Good point. But a lot of balls won't be weak. They are gonna be bullets. To her left, to her right, and at her face. Pitchers typically have great gloves because they've caught thousands of balls more than everyone else due to their offseason pitching. For this reason, I ask my pitchers' parents or whomever is sitting behind the plate offseason, to return the ball to the pitcher variably with grounders, short hops, pop ups and bullets back at 'em. I want the pitcher to expect and be ready for anything.

As for your statement about pitchers being able to make good throws to first....if my pitcher can field a ball and run halfway to first and give the first baseman an underhand flip from 18 feet away, I will take that ANYDAY over a relaxed overhand throw to first. If they have time...run, run, run..underhand flip. I can't tell you how many routine throws to first Ive seen the pitcher throw in the dirt or over their head. I will never forget a LLWS championship at 16U lost because a routine comebacker was thrown over the head of the first baseman.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

If you bunt 20 consecutive times up 1st baseline with my pitcher defending the bunt. I will gladly take the 18 outs you are giving me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As for your statement about pitchers being able to make good throws to first....if my pitcher can field a ball and run halfway to first and give the first baseman an underhand flip from 18 feet away, I will take that ANYDAY over a relaxed overhand throw to first. If they have time...run, run, run..underhand flip. I can't tell you how many routine throws to first Ive seen the pitcher throw in the dirt or over their head. I will never forget a LLWS championship at 16U lost because a routine comebacker was thrown over the head of the first baseman.

If our pitchers makes a play to their left (right side of the infield) they can make a "flip toss" to 1B (or 2B covering 1B), but she needs to call the "flip", so the receiving player knows it is coming. With a lot of batters running sub three second home-to-first we do NOT teach our players to "run, run, run" towards 1B before they make the flip. That would create a lot of bang-bang plays that we want to avoid, and a "flip" is still a throw, and has just as much of a chance of being errant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi