Did you State Softball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
JMO states such as Cal and Fla have had the advantage in the past due to the warmer weather, the more you play the better you get common sense.

Many of the indoor facilities have open in the northern more states which allows the kids to have year round access.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
CA has more people, great weather, and fastpitch is a big time sport.....that said, there are a lot of states putting out some quality players - just look at the Top 10 teams at ASA and PGF Nationals, especially in the upper age groups.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I don't think it is a fair question. Cali goes from Florida to New Jersey. I know that Alaska and Texas are bigger but how many people play softball an Alaska. I also know that there are some spots in Texas that you can drive a long ways and never see a house. Of course good weather states are going to be better at out door sports but I am willing to bet that Michigan is a lot better at hocky.

If I go see my family in a small town in Missouri I am willing to bet that no one has any idea what I am talking about when I talk about travel ball. They live an hour and a half from Kansas City but it is a small little farm town and they just don't think about such things. You will have small towns and small schools that don't play softball. There just is not enough kids.

I live in South Jersey witch is a lot more rural as a whole. There are far more teams in North Jersey just for the fact that there are more people. A quick google search will tell you that 16.37 million people live in the Las Angeles area. New Jersey as a state has 8.7 and LA has a lot better weather.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think it is a fair question. Cali goes from Florida to New Jersey. I know that Alaska and Texas are bigger but how many people play softball an Alaska. I also know that there are some spots in Texas that you can drive a long ways and never see a house. Of course good weather states are going to be better at out door sports but I am willing to bet that Michigan is a lot better at hocky.

If I go see my family in a small town in Missouri I am willing to bet that no one has any idea what I am talking about when I talk about travel ball. They live an hour and a half from Kansas City but it is a small little farm town and they just don't think about such things. You will have small towns and small schools that don't play softball. There just is not enough kids.

I live in South Jersey witch is a lot more rural as a whole. There are far more teams in North Jersey just for the fact that there are more people. A quick google search will tell you that 16.37 million people live in the Las Angeles area. New Jersey as a state has 8.7 and LA has a lot better weather.

Yes, and SoCal has a population of 22 million, many former players college and pro come back to SoCal and coach, open up hitting, pitching, conditioning facilities. Fastpitch is played year-round here and very few practices or games are rained out because of the weather. One thing I have noticed is that even the Rec leagues are competitive. For example, at 8U its kid pitch and at 10U its full ASA rules (DTS, stealing home, infield fly). With that said, there are some strong regions throughout the U.S. that are starting to become softball powerhouses like Chicago, for example.

Jul 2, 2013
Folks want to limit this post to a specific State, so California wins.

For specific regions, the Atlanta, GA ... Greenville/Spartanburg, SC ... Charlotte, NC ... Columbia, SC ... all within a 4 hour driving distance, plays a mighty fine game of softball.

If you go by per capita relevance, could argue as good as any.

18U ASA national champs (Charlotte, NC), 16U ASA national champs (Atlanta, GA), Gatorade player of the year (Greenville, SC), Maxpreps freshman player of the year (Columbia, SC) all for 2013 came from this area. Yeah though not PGF, I get it! For HS the #9 (Charlotte, NC) and #15 (Spartanburg, SC) Maxpreps final national ranking from this region. For such a small population, would not take a backseat to many.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd