Did speed down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
DD started lessons last night and the PC gunned her at 48,48, & 47. She just turned 13 and she was visibly upset since she was gunned last May @ 52,51,&50. She pitched to middle of July and shut it down up until mid September and just threw about once per week. My question is this normal she would drop 4mph from last year? During lessons she will pitch 3-4 times per week and this is her 3rd year of lessons. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 7, 2013
It could be the different speed guns used. My Pocket Radar is consistently about 2 mph slower than a Juggs.

Also, that's pretty normal for a pitcher that age to vary. I have two DDs that pitch and some days its really hopping and some days its not. Don't worry, if she was throwing that fast before she'll be back there again, soon.

The other thing about lessons is that maybe she was working on something that temporarily slowed her down. I feel certain that it's nothing permanent.

Jun 15, 2011
She has had the same instructor for 3 years so I imagine it was the same gun. I told her this was a pre-test and to use this as motivation. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Jun 12, 2015
If she hasn't been pitching for several months it makes sense to me she might lose some speed temporarily.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you worked out at the gym regularly for 6-months, then "maxed out" on the bench press, then stopped working out for 2-3 months would you expect your "max" to increase, decrease, or stay the same?

As pitchers mature their increase in size and strength can increase or maintain their pitch speed despite periods of inactivity. Once a pitcher has finished growing increases in speed are much harder to come by and require regular workouts in the gym and on the rubber. While I would love for my DD to maintain her maximum pitch velocity all the time, there is a trade off of potential overuse and burn out. Therefore, we are content with her throwing 2-3 MPH slower than her maximum velocity, while knowing that if we "amped up" her workout routine she could get it back in a couple of weeks.

Nov 18, 2013
Try to take the fluctuations in stride. It’s common for their speed to dip while they work on new pitches or tweak mechanics. Puberty and growth spurts can also wreak havoc on their mechanics. DD’s speeds could differ by as much as 5 mph during that time. I’d be a nervous wreck, but her coaches all said not to worry about it. It didn’t help hearing that, but of course they were right.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have to assume that she was aware that she was being gunned and as such was trying to throw hard, so a decrease in speed should be expected.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the responses. She is a hard worker and will use this as motivation. I think she tries to muscle the ball at times, so she will be doing a lot of IR drills that I found on this great forum.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Have to assume that she was aware that she was being gunned and as such was trying to throw hard, so a decrease in speed should be expected.

^^^This. Especially after coming back from some time off. Nothing kills most pitchers' speed faster than seeing the radar gun come out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom