Did I do right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
Taking the OP's account of the event and the fact the batter was called out I think we can all make a pretty informed decision.

Not really. Were you there? Did you see exactly what happened? Did you hear the other half of the story? The other coach was arguing....and he was there. This type of play is a judgement call by the umpire, and since we were not there we cannot make an informed decision. We can make a "best guess" decision but not an informed decision. We only have a little more than half of the information. I "believed" the umpire in my prior post.

Do you have a reason to doubt her or question her integrity? There are multiple viewpoints, she gave you hers, and unless you are saying she is lying when she gave you the umpires ruling, is easy to say based off the ruling.

If you do not have the ball you cannot obstruct the runner, if you have the ball you can attempt to make the play. She stated her intention was not to hurt the girl and and had given no indication otherwise.

Coaches ands parents would argue the world was flat if it benefited them. Don't doubt yourself based on other people. But that being said, doing an occasional self checkup never hurts.

Jun 12, 2015
Check this out. Go to 1:03:30. This was at my older DD's baseball game. We're in the field. Our catcher had been walked before, and kind of smarted off to the pitcher. "Hey, thanks for the free base." That kind of stuff. Poor sportsmanship no doubt. So this is the pitcher running in from 3rd. Guess when you're catcher you best be careful about smarting off to the other players. You can hear the ump say "You're out of the game" to the runner. If you back it up to when he was hitting you can hear the other team encouraging the pitcher at bat, it was pretty clear he planned to take out the catcher if he could. Kinda crazy for 11 and 12 year olds. Anyway. Thread just made me think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_NaPTZ7za0

Feb 18, 2014
IF you are coming into home for a play at the plate and don't slide you are not getting any sympathy from me. I have always taught if you think their is a play you get down and SLIDE period, even when I coached baseball 20 years ago I was never the coach that advocated collisions at the plate I just never saw the point, if you can't beat the throw just slide and do your best to avoid the tag and move on.

I disagree with this, but not how you expect.

We are struggling with girls that aren't in a force, just like this, that are easily beat by the throw and they slide into home.

No, fight, don't give up, go back if you have time. I would rather see a girl thrown out in a pickle than go down easy. It's off topic, but it happened twice last week. And it's frustrating.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Question to the people that are questioning my motives. What could/should have I done differently? I'm a small catcher (4' 11" and about 115 pounds) but I'm pretty strong for my size. Plus I only had about 15-20 feet between her and me to react.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Question to the people that are questioning my motives. What could/should have I done differently? I'm a small catcher (4' 11" and about 115 pounds) but I'm pretty strong for my size. Plus I only had about 15-20 feet between her and me to react.

Based on your description - and the fact that the ump called the runner out without any issues with your play - you did just fine. 4'-11" of catcher-beast badass. Keep up the good work, kid.

Nov 18, 2013

There's always one jerk hiding behind their keyboard. Everyone else here knows you did everything right, made a great play and showed good sportsmanship. Keep it up!

Dec 19, 2012
LOL

I'm sure you did just fine softgabby. All I'm saying is we were not there and it would be hard for ANY OF US to tell you if you could have done anything differently. For instance, we found out later in the thread that there was 15-20 feet where either of you could have reacted. Did the throw pull you into the line the runner was running? Did you catch the ball, then move into the runner's lane? How far up the line from home plate were you? Was the runner trying to run you over? These are things we just don't know. Below is a video of my dd's freshman year. There were people on this site that stated my dd was in the wrong and blocked the plate, not allowing the runner a lane to the plate. The ruling on this type of play is subjective. Even with video, the play can be scrutinized. You decide whether or not my dd did the right thing.

Dec 19, 2012
Do you have a reason to doubt her or question her integrity? There are multiple viewpoints, she gave you hers, and unless you are saying she is lying when she gave you the umpires ruling, is easy to say based off the ruling.

If you do not have the ball you cannot obstruct the runner, if you have the ball you can attempt to make the play. She stated her intention was not to hurt the girl and and had given no indication otherwise.

Coaches ands parents would argue the world was flat if it benefited them. Don't doubt yourself based on other people. But that being said, doing an occasional self checkup never hurts.

It's not about doubt and I do not question her integrity. All I'm saying is the play is subjective and we were not there. Nothing more..........

Dec 19, 2012
There's always one jerk hiding behind their keyboard. Everyone else here knows you did everything right, made a great play and showed good sportsmanship. Keep it up!

...and there's always one idiot behind their keyboard that thinks they know everything because their dd plays for a major D1 program......

Softgabby is questioning herself on the play. She wants to know if and what she could have done differently. WE WEREN'T THERE! All we know is that the umpire called the runner out, the other coach argued, Softgabby was okay, and the other girl stayed on the ground for a bit. We can all only give a best guess that softgabby did what she could based on the umpire's decision. I sided with the umpire.....and yet I'm a jerk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi