Did I do right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Did I do right?
I took my mask off
200.gif

Now it's right.

Nov 18, 2013
It's determined by umpire's discretion. He or she has to determine the legality of the play. Based on the fact that the umpire called the runner out makes me believe the play was legal. Without video evidence no one here can make an informed decision, and even video might not give difinitive proof.

Taking the OP's account of the event and the fact the batter was called out I think we can all make a pretty informed decision.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Unless you did something try and intentionally hurt the runner, and it does not sound like you did, everything sound fine and you handled yourself well.

Jun 12, 2015
My understanding is, if you have the ball you can block the plate. Not your fault if she decided to run into you. I think you acted with good sportsmanship and really I agree that the parents and coaches on the other team should not be addressing you. If the ump had an issue with it he would take it up with you, it's not their place.

Dec 19, 2012
Taking the OP's account of the event and the fact the batter was called out I think we can all make a pretty informed decision.

Not really. Were you there? Did you see exactly what happened? Did you hear the other half of the story? The other coach was arguing....and he was there. This type of play is a judgement call by the umpire, and since we were not there we cannot make an informed decision. We can make a "best guess" decision but not an informed decision. We only have a little more than half of the information. I "believed" the umpire in my prior post.

Sep 29, 2014
IF you are coming into home for a play at the plate and don't slide you are not getting any sympathy from me. I have always taught if you think their is a play you get down and SLIDE period, even when I coached baseball 20 years ago I was never the coach that advocated collisions at the plate I just never saw the point, if you can't beat the throw just slide and do your best to avoid the tag and move on.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
She hit you and lost. Be a good sport then walk away with your head high.

By choosing to hit you instead of sliding by she made the decision that got her hurt. She chose to try and hurt you. Its on her 100%.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not really. Were you there? Did you see exactly what happened? Did you hear the other half of the story? The other coach was arguing....and he was there. This type of play is a judgement call by the umpire, and since we were not there we cannot make an informed decision. We can make a "best guess" decision but not an informed decision. We only have a little more than half of the information. I "believed" the umpire in my prior post.

It was a good play by softgabby on the tag at home. The evidence is that the umpire called the runner out, and had no other issues with her play. The ONLY judgement that matters is that of the umpire that was responsible for calling that play, at that game.

That said, it's possible another umpire might have seen the play differently and made a different call. That's not something we can ever know, so all we can go by is the call that was made on the field.

Also, what the other coach and parents were saying doesn't really amount to much in the way of conflicting evidence. How many times have you seen a coach argue a call that didn't go his/her way? I know plenty of coaches that will argue - even when they know they are wrong - in hopes of getting the ump to tip his decision their way on a later call. How many times have you seen parents upset about a call that didn't go in favor of their kids' team? Yeah...pretty much EVERY call.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi