Delay/"Lookback"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2014
Precisely! The other problem arises when umpires make a call that is improper due to poor rules knowledge. I've seen that far too many times. I've even protested it before because umpires were unwilling to get the call correct.
I chat with umpires before our games (ASA) to talk out the LBR, and I unfortunately get differing opinions each time. Usually the interpretation varies for the time allowed for the baserunner on 3 who has taken a legal lead to make a commitment to return or advance after LBR takes affect.

We got burned by an ump not even knowing about LBR and a seasoned team's coach taking advantage of it at a recent tournament. The opposing coaches were snickering about it after I called out that the runner on 3 should be out due to LBR (new baserunner touched 1, my pitcher in the circle in control NOT making a play, and baserunner standing in the 3-4 baseline like a statue to try to draw a throw).

To Blue's defense, you need both focused on the situation, one watching the new baserunner and the circle and the 2nd watching 3. When it happens in our normal league games it's an honest mistake so us coaches get together to help the players understand the rule and mistake. But when a travel-only, showcase team does it, I now know better.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez