Delay/"Lookback"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you're going to introduce a new play, please do so in a new thread. That's been requested many times. Changing the scenario causes confusion, introduces inaccurate/irrelevant information, causes problems and causes a thread to go in perpetuity.

All of the situations in the rules book about the batter-runner and the pitcher are designed to cover the possibilities, generally speaking, when the ball is returned to the pitcher and then the batter-runner reaches 1st base. Overrunning and coming back before the pitcher even has the ball is treated like any other situation.

Please provide association-specific references and citations.

And really, aren't we more concerned about situations when the ball has been returned to the pitcher AFTER the batter-runner has reached base?!

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Does it have to be the pitcher with the ball in the circle? I was under the impression that it could be any fielder with possession in the circle (and not in the act of making a play).

For LBR to take effect, it has to be the pitcher with possession and control of the ball in the circle.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't know the answer to your question at a rules level, but...

...are you really going to tag up and run when the ball is caught by the pitcher??

That's why I said leave that part out.

The reason I ask is I actually saw the play while wandering around a tournament and watching an 8U game. The runner was called for LBR violation.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
In a tourney this weekend - U-trip rules - DD walked, rounded first, stopped 2 feet off the bag then went right back to first. She was called out on LBR. Pitcher had the ball in the circle at the time. Didn't think it was a violation but would like to know if I am wrong.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In a tourney this weekend - U-trip rules - DD walked, rounded first, stopped 2 feet off the bag then went right back to first. She was called out on LBR. Pitcher had the ball in the circle at the time. Didn't think it was a violation but would like to know if I am wrong.

Without seeing the play it is tough to say for sure. But as you describe the play, she should not have been called for a LBR violation as I understand it, assuming she did not stop at first then leave.

Mar 2, 2013
Please provide association-specific references and citations.

And really, aren't we more concerned about situations when the ball has been returned to the pitcher AFTER the batter-runner has reached base?!

It's right in the rule. Just read it.

And, NO, most of the problems that arise regarding the rule occur as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner and the ball being returned to the pitcher BEFORE the batter-runner reaches 1st base. That's where those six scenarios come in to play. The rest of it is actually easier. (1) If you're on base, you can't leave. (2) If you're in motion, you get one stop then must continue nonstop or retreat nonstop. (3) If you are standing still, you must proceed or retreat nonstop.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's right in the rule. Just read it.

And, NO, most of the problems that arise regarding the rule occur as a result of the batter becoming a batter-runner and the ball being returned to the pitcher BEFORE the batter-runner reaches 1st base. That's where those six scenarios come in to play. The rest of it is actually easier. (1) If you're on base, you can't leave. (2) If you're in motion, you get one stop then must continue nonstop or retreat nonstop. (3) If you are standing still, you must proceed or retreat nonstop.

I disagree as I can't even recall the last time I've seen this happen. How frequently do you see this occur?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I disagree as I can't even recall the last time I've seen this happen. How frequently do you see this occur?

In most cases, it isn't a violation and the problem is that is where the umpire gets most of the arguments from the coaches ignorant of the rule.

Mar 2, 2013
In most cases, it isn't a violation and the problem is that is where the umpire gets most of the arguments from the coaches ignorant of the rule.

Precisely! The other problem arises when umpires make a call that is improper due to poor rules knowledge. I've seen that far too many times. I've even protested it before because umpires were unwilling to get the call correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06