Decisions, decisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
So tryouts are underway, which offer would you take, so far?

Team A: DD is the #1 at her desired position, may have a #2 to share time with.
DD will be developed at other positions, which she has a desire and ability to play, but hasn't been given the opportunity in the past.
Fees:<$1000 including travel
HC has track record of success, low-key, and has an in-depth ability to train DD at her position.
Travel to practices: 30 minutes
Great cohesion between players, coaches, and parents.

Team B: DD is the #2 at her desired position, commitment by coaches to play and develop both players at that positon, (but this wasnt the actual situation last season)
DD will not get time much at secondary desired position.
Fees: >$2000 plus three travel tournaments including across the country.
Coaches are former D1 players, extensive and successful coaches, and had a fairly successful season in 2013
Travel to practices:1 hour each way plus traffic during rush hour
I expect several new teammates/parents with a goal of success at nationals.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So tryouts are underway, which offer would you take, so far?

Team A: DD is the #1 at her desired position, may have a #2 to share time with.
DD will be developed at other positions, which she has a desire and ability to play, but hasn't been given the opportunity in the past.
Fees:<$1000 including travel
HC has track record of success, low-key, and has an in-depth ability to train DD at her position.
Travel to practices: 30 minutes
Great cohesion between players, coaches, and parents.

Team B: DD is the #2 at her desired position, commitment by coaches to play and develop both players at that positon, (but this wasnt the actual situation last season)
DD will not get time much at secondary desired position.
Fees: >$2000 plus three travel tournaments including across the country.
Coaches are former D1 players, extensive and successful coaches, and had a fairly successful season in 2013
Travel to practices:1 hour each way plus traffic during rush hour
I expect several new teammates/parents with a goal of success at nationals.

If your DD isn't playing , the coaching and everything else is secondary.

I don't see anything exciting about Team B except it is probably a 'higher profile' team where despite coaches commitments she is going to play behind someone the coaches consider better than her already. Nationals are all cool however until 16U/18U and college recruiting no one outside the team cares about success at nationals - and teams with national goals are not giving game time development to a #2 - and by the end of tryouts you could end up #3 if someone even better comes along. All for the privilege of paying more.

Ugh Just saw the post and I see your DD is 15. Now it depends more on her goals. If she is looking for exposure nationally then maybe the 16U-A team is more of an option, but if local goals then you have a different story. It doesn't change the fact that if she is not playing in her position she is still not going to be seen on the 16U-A team. It is hard to be recruited as a backup and not playing. Nothing like inviting a college coach out to see you play and they see you on the bench or playing a position other than the one you say is your best position.

Got to be on the field.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'd go A. Because I think you need to play to get better.
Have DD work her tail off and see if she can be option #1 on team B next year.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD is 15.
Team A will compete at 18A/B non-gold.
Team B will compete at 16A

Does your DD aspire to play college softball? Does she have the talent/skill to play at the next level? If she does, I would recommend going with team B and playing 16U. There is more D1 recruiting at 16U and by the cost differential I would imagine that team B is planning to play in several showcases, which are great exposure for the players. It also sounds like team B is more competitive. If she does not want to play in college, then go with team A.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Limited playing = Limited exposure. Also, What kind of college would she aspire to attend and play if she could do so. If DIV I or II then she needs to get on TEAM B and find a way to EARN a starting role somewhere so the exposure events help. Otherwise, TEAM A because even smaller Div III and Private schools need players and she could enjoy playing at that level as well. Lots of variables to consider.

Dec 7, 2011
If DD has "the big D1 dream" then B of course. Putting a girl with big dreams on a non-exposure team can lead to looking back with sadness over waisted time.

(Just one rendition)

Apr 9, 2012
Is there great family cohesion on either team that you know of?

16U gets more recruiting at the top levels.

On Option A-being shes 15 what ages are the rest of the players? Will you be left hanging in a year or two?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1