DD's first home run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I completely disagree and I'm quite happy to be a killjoy. Kids need to be taught the rules and part of softball is learning how to score accurately. The opposing pitcher did not surrender a home run. Truth and accuracy should count for something. Michael congrats to your daughter on her triple.

Sorry Honey, that wasn't a home run, and by the way, Santa Claus is not real. Give her the darn home run:)

Oct 31, 2010
I uploaded some video's before & couldn't find them, I had uploaded them as unlisted. It took me awhile, but I did find them when I went to video manager. Hope you are able to find it, I know that is a priceless moment. Congrats to her on the HR!

Sep 18, 2011
Sorry Honey, that wasn't a home run, and by the way, Santa Claus is not real. Give her the darn home run:)

Maybe yoi missed it, but this is 12U for goodness sake. 12U!! Twelve!!! We're not talking about 7 year olds. I maintain that calling this a home run disrespects the game. At 13, my DD is still waiting for her first. Since 10U she has hit plenty of these types of "home runs" but she certainly knows the difference between a home run and a "home run" with errors, and she also knows that when she hits a hard ground ball that gets booted by the second baseman, that that's not really a hit. I hope that none of you who support this keep book for your teams. Again, congrats to this girl on her triple. That's a fine achievement. Sad that adults feel the need to lie to her, or that nobody has any desire to teach her the rules. Let her first home run be a legitimate home run - one where she can keep the ball and always be proud of it. If she keeps this ball, a year or two from now she will understand the rules and will know that her first was tainted. I simply cannot believe that you would set her up for that. Can you imagine the scene - her "first home run" ball proudly displayed on her shelf, and a friend asks her about it, and she explains the situation "and then as i was sliding into third, the ball got passed the third baseman so I got up and made it home" and the confused look on the friend's face... why?? Why ruin it? Why lie?? Why pretend?? I emphatically implore the original poster to sit down with his DD, tell her how unbelievably proud of her he is, and explain that while she had a great hit in the game and made it all the way home, due to an error on the play it can't be considered a home run, but the good news is that she still has something to look forward to, and it's only a matter of time before it really does happen. A first home run is so special. Please don't cheapen it. End of rant.

Oct 10, 2011
12u

Maybe yoi missed it, but this is 12U for goodness sake. 12U!! Twelve!!! We're not talking about 7 year olds. I maintain that calling this a home run disrespects the game. At 13, my DD is still waiting for her first. Since 10U she has hit plenty of these types of "home runs" but she certainly knows the difference between a home run and a "home run" with errors, and she also knows that when she hits a hard ground ball that gets booted by the second baseman, that that's not really a hit. I hope that none of you who support this keep book for your teams. Again, congrats to this girl on her triple. That's a fine achievement. Sad that adults feel the need to lie to her, or that nobody has any desire to teach her the rules. Let her first home run be a legitimate home run - one where she can keep the ball and always be proud of it. If she keeps this ball, a year or two from now she will understand the rules and will know that her first was tainted. I simply cannot believe that you would set her up for that. Can you imagine the scene - her "first home run" ball proudly displayed on her shelf, and a friend asks her about it, and she explains the situation "and then as i was sliding into third, the ball got passed the third baseman so I got up and made it home" and the confused look on the friend's face... why?? Why ruin it? Why lie?? Why pretend?? I emphatically implore the original poster to sit down with his DD, tell her how unbelievably proud of her he is, and explain that while she had a great hit in the game and made it all the way home, due to an error on the play it can't be considered a home run, but the good news is that she still has something to look forward to, and it's only a matter of time before it really does happen. A first home run is so special. Please don't cheapen it. End of rant.

No I didn't "miss it." I was joking of course, but 12u doesn't mean they are twelve. At any rate, some people like to take the joy out of the game, even for the younger girls.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I already broke the news to her and she didn't really mind it being a triple with a base on an error . Considering the distance to the fence on these fields no-one was gonna hit a true homer .

To be honest I thought it was considered an inside the park home run but I never played baseball as a kid and I don't watch it as an adult . I have helped out on her teams as a manager or team parent but I am not an expert on the game in any way shape or form . I did not "Lie" to her I simply was ignorant of how it would be scored .

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I already broke the news to her and she didn't really mind it being a triple with a base on an error . Considering the distance to the fence on these fields no-one was gonna hit a true homer .

To be honest I thought it was considered an inside the park home run but I never played baseball as a kid and I don't watch it as an adult . I have helped out on her teams as a manager or team parent but I am not an expert on the game in any way shape or form . I did not "Lie" to her I simply was ignorant of how it would be scored .

You both can look forward to and be extra proud when she gets her first legitimate inside-the-park and/or over-the-fence HRs. It will mean that much more knowing that it was truly earned.

May 7, 2012
NC
Congrats!!!! My dd has hit several of the "HR's" in the past couple of years. She calls them touchem's!!!! She gets to touch em all but knows it is not scored as a HR!!! As long as the run goes on the board you should both be proud!

It could be worse than accepting the fact it was really a triple with an error. My 13 year old daughter hit one about 215' to 220' down the left field line over the fence at 200' this past Saturday. It was fair by a foot or two over the fence but landed in foul territory well past the fence...the outfield fence was at 300',but they had a temporary fence at 200' for the tournament. Naturally the #!*?#! ump called it a foul ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1