DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Julray,

I agree with the others, she is forcing the swing or is to muscled up. A little to rotational.
Thanks Shawn... her coaches all her life have told her they love her intent to tear the cover off the ball. Love how hard and vicious her swing was. I know the difference, relaxed, balance and control = easy power, fast muscles. But it's a battle when her coaches tell her to keep up the good work. Results will change her mind, lately we have really been focused on staying more relaxed, but in these swings you are seeing the old "kill it" type mentality. Thanks again

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Appreciate the comments Bobby. The shoulders going up and down are likely due to a misteach by me.. yes I made another blunder. I gave her a cue "back shoulder replaces front shoulder".. I heard it mentioned before and thought this would held her get behind and through the ball. Because of this, maybe the front shoulder juts upward and rear works hard under which causes her head to rise and go sideways like this?

The funny thing is ...that cue will make a lot more sense to her later on and you will probably be going back to it! :) Hitting....no wonder we can confuse them!

If you don't make more blunders...then your not helping her! This stuff isn't easy, have to try to simplify and be consistent. Just as soon as I feel great with one girl...one shows up that makes me question every thing! :)

May 12, 2016
I think a lot of the problems is the front foot at heel plant. To me she is not dropping her heel, she is spinning her heel, which is causing her front leg to not have enough flexion during weight shift. Basically because of the turning of the foot to get to heel plant she posting up really fast and hard.

It's because she starts more closed and then opens up the foot up at heel plant. If you look at the original video you will see better transfer to the front foot.. IMHO. I like Wright's no stride mechanics though.. and you could very well be "Wright". Just had to, :)

May 12, 2016
I am thinking that her in game is much different than her tee swing. She leads the team in least number of strike outs, 3rd in BA, 1st in RBI's(likely because she puts the ball in play... more than power), hardly ever misses a pitch she swings at, and has not struck out looking once this year. I would expect her contact rate would be suffering much more with this kind of swing in a game. No big bombs this years, but some screamers through the infield.

I will try to get some game video..

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks Shawn... her coaches all her life have told her they love her intent to tear the cover off the ball. Love how hard and vicious her swing was. I know the difference, relaxed, balance and control = easy power, fast muscles. But it's a battle when her coaches tell her to keep up the good work. Results will change her mind, lately we have really been focused on staying more relaxed, but in these swings you are seeing the old "kill it" type mentality. Thanks again

One of the first things I found out was a muscle driven swing didn't look right to me. I saw all the effort going into the swing and knew something wasn't right.

I have in the past seen girls make very positive gains/result not swinging at 100%

May 12, 2016
One of the first things I found out was a muscle driven swing didn't look right to me. I saw all the effort going into the swing and knew something wasn't right.

I have in the past seen girls make very positive gains/result not swinging at 100%
I don't know how much you played the game, but I have all my life, admittedly not at a very high level, but fastpitch and slo-pitch. Really doesn't make a difference tbh, but how often have you hit a home run when muscling up and thinking about hitting a homerun? Personally I've found the furthest/hardest balls I hit have come at the least expected time... when all I was thinking about was solid contact, line drive, trying to hit the ball hard and just get on base.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I don't know how much you played the game, but I have all my life, admittedly not at a very high level, but fastpitch and slo-pitch. Really doesn't make a difference tbh, but how often have you hit a home run when muscling up and thinking about hitting a homerun? Personally I've found the furthest/hardest balls I hit have come at the least expected time... when all I was thinking about was solid contact, line drive, trying to hit the ball hard and just get on base.

I find the same with golf. Muscling up will generally kill a drive.

May 12, 2016
Big tournament on the weekend, despite not very good mechanics she still leads the team in most hitting categories. However like I mentioned before I know she has another gear which she hasn't leveraged yet(mechanics will help with that).. improving mechanics will help that. Tomorrow we are making the following priority, of course nothing too drastic before a tournament.

1. More stacked over back foot, , not so much flexion in back knee during negative move (basically stand taller), remaining coiled into foot plant
2. Stay more relaxed and stop muscling, I think she does that in her game swing anyway

I think number 1 will help with quite a few issues we are seeing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi