DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks FP26, that's good advice indeed.. I just feel that her standing tall/coming out of her swing will always be a deterrent when it comes to power. If I could just fix that, something simple without changing too many other things or getting too technical, a practical fix, something she can practice to avoid this. Everybody has been very helpful and given me a lot of their time on this thread, and I appreciate the kindness and effort. But I feel at this point she needs me to shut up, and she's willing to put in the work.. but she needs something tangible. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. Here is another option. I learned this drill from Tewks. I believe he refers to it as the "ladder drill". Set up the tee at a normal comfortable location for her. I like having it between the front foot and the front knee after stride. Have a tarp set up maybe 10 feet in front of her. Draw a line or target approximately 4 feet high and ask her to hit that target. Once she is able to do that, draw a line or target 6 feet high. Repeat. Then move to 8 feet high. Do not allow her to change the placement of the tee or change where she is standing. She has to adjust to the different heights with her body. If she does it properly, her posture should start to change a bit. She will keep her weight more back, and the angle of her front leg will look more similar to the picture below. IMO, this will prevent the issue you are talking about. I understand that you do not want to overload her with too much thinking, so don't even talk about mechanics as she is doing this. Watch her posture, and when she is somewhat similar to Mr. Votto (below), ask her how it feels. Provide support and positive reinforcement.

As was mentioned by others earlier in the thread, I think she uses her front leg too much. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!

pvJHQah.png

Jun 8, 2016
Makes perfect sense. Here is another option. I learned this drill from Tewks. I believe he refers to it as the "ladder drill". Set up the tee at a normal comfortable location for her. I like having it between the front foot and the front knee after stride. Have a tarp set up maybe 10 feet in front of her. Draw a line or target approximately 4 feet high and ask her to hit that target. Once she is able to do that, draw a line or target 6 feet high. Repeat. Then move to 8 feet high. Do not allow her to change the placement of the tee or change where she is standing. She has to adjust to the different heights with her body. If she does it properly, her posture should start to change a bit. She will keep her weight more back, and the angle of her front leg will look more similar to the picture below. IMO, this will prevent the issue you are talking about. As was mentioned by others earlier in the thread, I think she uses her front leg too much. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!

pvJHQah.png
Nice!! I like that idea. At one point SB suggested putting up targets in my garage for my DD's wiffle ball front toss sessions. Some kids work better when you work drills which allow them to self-adjust..

May 12, 2016
Not sure where this came from, but maybe I didn't explain well what I'm viewing as an outsider. Sorry about that. It seems to me that her mentality is to leverage her body to a position to elevate the ball. Therefore she is popping her head up and coming up out of the ground. Again I'm not an expert here at all. If she changed her mentality to leverage her body to hit more ground balls it will force her to keep her head from popping up and stay in the ground more. Hopefully this makes better sense, if not I will stop now LOL
Please do not stop, I am not an expert either, lol. But I have to question things when I am not sure they make sense to me because it's the only way I can provide I can help her. I appreciate all feedback, expert or amateur. Many times the best feedback comes from people like you and I (Non expert, :)) because we are not getting too technical. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

May 12, 2016
Makes perfect sense. Here is another option. I learned this drill from Tewks. I believe he refers to it as the "ladder drill". Set up the tee at a normal comfortable location for her. I like having it between the front foot and the front knee after stride. Have a tarp set up maybe 10 feet in front of her. Draw a line or target approximately 4 feet high and ask her to hit that target. Once she is able to do that, draw a line or target 6 feet high. Repeat. Then move to 8 feet high. Do not allow her to change the placement of the tee or change where she is standing. She has to adjust to the different heights with her body. If she does it properly, her posture should start to change a bit. She will keep her weight more back, and the angle of her front leg will look more similar to the picture below. IMO, this will prevent the issue you are talking about. I understand that you do not want to overload her with too much thinking, so don't even talk about mechanics as she is doing this. Watch her posture, and when she is somewhat similar to Mr. Votto (below), ask her how it feels. Provide support and positive reinforcement.

As was mentioned by others earlier in the thread, I think she uses her front leg too much. I hope that makes sense. Good luck!

pvJHQah.png
Thanks FP26, that is a great idea... and it's practical.

When you say she uses her front leg too much, what do you mean? She posts/firms/blocks it up too much... or she is using too much with other muscles to pull rear side

Oct 2, 2017
Please do not stop, I am not an expert either, lol. But I have to question things when I am not sure they make sense to me because it's the only way I can provide I can help her. I appreciate all feedback, expert or amateur. Many times the best feedback comes from people like you and I (Non expert, :)) because we are not getting too technical. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

I would say it like the Ladder drill that FP26 talked about above. Starting at 4ft or grounders will make her make the body adjustments on her own with much input from you.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

When you say she uses her front leg too much, what do you mean? She posts/firms/blocks it up too much... or she is using too much with other muscles to pull rear side

I would refer to the RichK post earlier in this thread. He nailed it perfectly, IMO.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

If someone has time please explain how the front hip is the pivot point vs the rear hip. Just trying to understand the checkpoints.. I don't see her shifting across the pelvis before go time.

Uv6oTdW.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1