DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Sometimes it is best to step back and allow their natural athleticism to make the next step. I try to avoid commenting on young hitters because it just gets too contentious... But there is a lot to like about your DD's swing. Is she perfect? No. But VERY few are. She has a good base to build on.

If you can use a softball field for practice, try playing a game. Give her a bucket of balls. Then stand in a shallow outfield position with a glove. Give her the goal of hitting a line drive over your head. As she starts accomplishing that, slowly take a few steps backwards to make it more difficult for her. Amazing how the body reacts when given that type of goal. Personally, my DD loves to make me chase the ball. Anything to make dad work harder... ;)
Thanks FP26, that's good advice indeed.. I just feel that her standing tall/coming out of her swing will always be a deterrent when it comes to power. If I could just fix that, something simple without changing too many other things or getting too technical, a practical fix, something she can practice to avoid this. Everybody has been very helpful and given me a lot of their time on this thread, and I appreciate the kindness and effort. But I feel at this point she needs me to shut up, and she's willing to put in the work.. but she needs something tangible. Does that make sense?

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Listened to what some of you said, here's 3 vids, she's trying, she's a good hard worker but old habits die hard. I believe she is thinking about the backside maybe too much in these vids, and it has compromised FYB and stretch created.. also there maybe some all back, all forward leaking in now, IDK I could be wrong, hence why I am talking to you guys, lol. The front toss video is performed with an over weighted (12.5 oz) heavy rubber softball. I know there are issues, but I am happy with how sudden her bat get's through the zone and continues through heavy ball.
You definitely don't want that as her "new" swing. :)

I agree she lost her leverage and FYB. If she can not...at minimum...maintain the load and front shoulder down/in into launch like she did on the tee-drill in the first video posted...yes work on sequence and load patterns too.

I will try and follow up with this tonight. Or if you have free unlimited calling to US...i will send you my phone and we can find a time to just talk about hitting rather than trying to type it out. Just an offer...since you been dealing with it so long!

May 12, 2016
You definitely don't want that as her "new" swing. :)

I agree she lost her leverage and FYB. If she can not...at minimum...maintain the load and front shoulder down/in into launch like she did on the tee-drill in the first video posted...yes work on sequence and load patterns too.

I will try and follow up with this tonight. Or if you have free unlimited calling to US...i will send you my phone and we can find a time to just talk about hitting rather than trying to type it out. Just an offer...since you been dealing with it so long!
That is very very kind of you. Thanks for the offer to speak in person, but I will be honest I'd rather keep it in thread, 1. I can follow written word much easier, lol, and 2. somebody else may be experiencing a similar problem and this might be helpful to them. I will ask her to think about what we call "attack mode" (shoulder down and in) into launch. She will taking more swings today when we get home from work.

May 12, 2016
I keep saying I want to eliminate her head popping up or coming out of her swing at heel plant... but I guess the cause is really foot skipping ahead too much, bringing the feet closer together which raises the body. I'm afraid this is a fault of mine... few years ago, like I previously mentioned she was hitting the ball 200 feet as a 11 year old we wanted to get a little extra hmpf and targeted the back foot. I put a 4x4 behind her back foot so it would skip forward a little... I guess it worked..lol. Unfortunately this was a mistake and I realize that now.

Oct 2, 2017
I keep saying I want to eliminate her head popping up or coming out of her swing at heel plant... but I guess the cause is really foot skipping ahead too much, bringing the feet closer together which raises the body. I'm afraid this is a fault of mine... few years ago, like I previously mentioned she was hitting the ball 200 feet as a 11 year old we wanted to get a little extra hmpf and targeted the back foot. I put a 4x4 behind her back foot so it would skip forward a little... I guess it worked..lol. Unfortunately this was a mistake and I realize that now.

An this is why I was asking about how high she was hitting balls off of the tee. If it was me, and take this with a grain of salt. Just my opinion. I would focus on hitting hard ground balls off of the tee. To me this would enforce staying down with her head and staying in the ground. It will not take away from hitting line drives or long ball, just reinforces having to stay in the ground. Right now she is trying to get behind the ball and elevate 200 ft.

May 12, 2016
An this is why I was asking about how high she was hitting balls off of the tee. If it was me, and take this with a grain of salt. Just my opinion. I would focus on hitting hard ground balls off of the tee. To me this would enforce staying down with her head and staying in the ground. It will not take away from hitting line drives or long ball, just reinforces having to stay in the ground. Right now she is trying to get behind the ball and elevate 200 ft.
I really appreciate your comments Clem.. but I am not sure it makes sense to me. By getting higher and forward in her stance should induce more ground balls.. staying back and low should result in more fly balls? Now the latest videos posted is of her trying something new.. so I wouldn't look at that 1 in regard to her natural swing

Oct 2, 2017
I really appreciate your comments Clem.. but I am not sure it makes sense to me. By getting higher and forward in her stance should induce more ground balls.. staying back and low should result in more fly balls? Now the latest videos posted is of her trying something new.. so I wouldn't look at that 1 in regard to her natural swing

Not sure where this came from, but maybe I didn't explain well what I'm viewing as an outsider. Sorry about that. It seems to me that her mentality is to leverage her body to a position to elevate the ball. Therefore she is popping her head up and coming up out of the ground. Again I'm not an expert here at all. If she changed her mentality to leverage her body to hit more ground balls it will force her to keep her head from popping up and stay in the ground more. Hopefully this makes better sense, if not I will stop now LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1