DD @ Hitting Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Please take a look at these videos of DD at hitting lessons and let me know if we are on the right track. DD is 12yrs old and we started with a new hitting coach a couple weeks ago. To me it looks like she is progressing, but I would like to read comments from you guys good or bad.

Video #1 side view - 1st Lesson
Ashlynn (Hitting Lesson #1, 2-21-22).MOV - YouTube

Video #2 is a side view - 2nd lesson
Ashlynn Hitting Lesson #2 1, 2 28 12 - YouTube

Video #3 is a angled view from front - 2nd lesson
Ashlynn Hitting Lesson #2 2, 2 28 12 - YouTube

Video #4 is a view from behind - 2nd lesson
Ashlynn Hitting Lesson #2 3, 2 28 12 - YouTube

Video #5 is angled view behind - 2nd lesson
Ashlynn Hitting Lesson #2 4, 2 28 12 - YouTube

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hard to tell if she is improving … would need to see before & after video.

In the videos above she tends to pre-load, lacks a clean swing sequence and spins on her back foot/leg (bug squisher).

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I wish had some video's before she started hitting lessons, but the main problem she had was casting. Yes squishing bug has been a problem and that's what the instructor is trying to fix. I just wanted to get some opinions from outside the box from you guys.

Sep 17, 2009
Good athlete and don't see casting, so you solved what I imagine was a hand-drop or reaching swing. Nice job.

Next step, and you'll find endless discussion in other threads (and what FFS is referencing in terms of clean swing sequence) is to make sure she has a solid coil and then (or as she coils) takes her hands up and back as she strides out.

Right now, she tends to go a bit all back and all forward with top AND bottom. Get them working against each other in opposite directions, that's the start of a good swing sequence.

And yes, she is spinning on her back foot. She may or may not when she swings at a pitch, but be careful that all the tee work you are doing doesn't lead her to just spin on that back foot. MTS has lots of good posts on walking off the back foot. That's a good place to start.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If you haven't read Megan 1-Tee started by ImmortaL1 and Thoughts on Daughter's Swing started by dukie you should FFs gives a great explaination on coil uncoiling and forward by coiling.Has lots of helpfully gifs. It should be recomended reading for all new dads to this forum.Now if I would only listen to all their advice and stop looking for short-cuts.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I wish you guys could have seen her before she started lessons. DD was casting real bad and new hitting coach has really done a nice job of fixing this problem. I'm just amazed she was able to stop the casting as quickly as she did.
I agree she needs to coil more, separate hands and waist and push off back foot into a power L. Instructor is working on this with her but it's going to take a little time.
Thanks for your comments

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that you are on the right track. You can't begin to address everything at this age, or she will get discouraged. I will say this, if I was playing CF and I saw her come up to the plate, I would back up. :)

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Thank you Amy for your comments...If daughter has anything going for her right now it's her size and strength. Your right about the age, it's going to take time I just hope DD is going in the right direction. Funny thing about girls this age is dad's voice doesn't always sink in and I have no doubt she has outgrown my teaching ability anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan