DD getting hit while pitching..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
NC
Only thing I would mention is that is why they make all those cool pads and masks! Let her decide if and when she is ready to get back in the circle... Just be supportive!

May 22, 2012
My 10 U DD has been pitching in rec league and wearing a rubber face guard, but no heart protector. She may try travel pitching this summer. I want her protected. So, is evoshield the recommended one? Also, for face guards, is one style or brand better than another? And do infielders also commonly wear them?

thanks

Jul 31, 2011
My DD took a line drive to her chest last year while on the mound (14U) she got her arm up in time to take the impact, but it broke her wrist and basically knocked her out. Very scary. She couldn't wait to get back out there, and even tried practicing pitching with the other hand while in a cast. She still fights me on wearing a mask or chest guard.

She seemed to get over it far sooner than I did. However, in a game earlier this year, she faced a batter that looked just like the girl that hit that line drive....very big girl, blond braid, same color uniform, same bat (CF4)....and I saw a moments hesitation before DD threw the first pitch, and her demeanor changed for the rest of the game. She won't admit it, but I know it's on her mind.

Jul 31, 2011
Also...DD's pitching coach, who played professionally, talked with her at length about getting hit. She basically said, "...it will happen again, you will get hit again sometime...get over it, and focus on being ready to field as fast as you can...". Seemed to be just what DD needed to hear.....while my anxiety level has risen significantly!

Sep 1, 2011
My 16 year old daughter took a hard linedrive to the face on Wednesdays varsity game.. She was wearing a Rip It mask. She told the coach and trainer that she was ok and finished the game and passed a concussion test the next day. I crindge to thing of what might have happened if she hadn't been wearing a mask.. Her reflexes are as fast as any I've seen, but there was no time to get a glove up or move. I think I'm still more shook up about it than her... now I'm considering heart protection

Apr 29, 2012
So, is evoshield the recommended one?

My daughter uses a Rip-it Facemask and the Evoshield. I recommend both for any pitcher. The Evoshield is kind of like body armor. It molds to your DD's chest and lower back. It provides more chest protection than the typical heart guard and the lower back protection is good for when she is batting. Read the directions carefully because the pieces harden in 20 minutes once exposed to the air (they are packaged in sealed containers). After my DD was hit with a line drive I wouldn't let her pitch without them.

3sDad

My 16 year old daughter took a hard linedrive to the face on Wednesdays varsity game.. She was wearing a Rip It mask. She told the coach and trainer that she was ok and finished the game and passed a concussion test the next day. I crindge to thing of what might have happened if she hadn't been wearing a mask.. Her reflexes are as fast as any I've seen, but there was no time to get a glove up or move. I think I'm still more shook up about it than her... now I'm considering heart protection
Probably something like young lady...no brainer...mask
mms95picture-225x300.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah