Daughter punished by coaches this past weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
My 15 year old has a problem I don't know how to help her with. She's one of 3 pitchers on her team. She's also an outstanding outfielder. Up until this weekend, each girl pitched pretty evenly. They are all pretty much at the same level, but there are times when one has a better weekend than the others. A few weeks ago, my daughter's coach told her that she's faster than the other two, and he plans to use her in championship games, start her more on Sundays, etc. That made her feel really good.

This past weekend, right before their first game of pool play, coach announced who would be starting in which games that day, and my daughter was not starting in any of the three. After the pre-game meeting, she approached the coach and asked him why she didn't get to start any of the games. He told her that he wanted her to be available to come in at the end of a game and close it if we had a big enough lead in the score. My daughter was confused and told him that she wanted to start a game, too, and he said to her (something like), "Well, we want to win."

My daughter's face betrayed her feelings at that moment, and he backpedaled and tried to spin what he'd said, but the damage was done.

He sat her on the bench the entire first game. She was upset, not because of having to sit, but because of what her coach said to her, and she wasn't able to hide it very well.

Next game she got to play 2 innings in left field and then they sat her out for the rest of the game. The 3rd game, she started pitching. She struggled in the 2nd inning because the assistant coach was yelling at her after every pitch to HIT HER MARKS.
(Neither coach EVER yells at either of the other pitchers. Ever.) Coach called a time-out and went out to talk to her, and I could see him yelling at her. At one point, he raised his hand up in the air with one finger pointed, and then stormed back to the dugout. She later told me that he had said, "You have ONE more batter, ONE, and if you don't nail it, I'm pulling you." You can probably guess how well she did after that.

In 7 games that weekend, she played 10 innings total. She was told by the assistant coach that her reaction to not pitching in the first game on Saturday told them (her and the head coach) that she wasn't a team player, that she only cares about herself and not the team, and some other stuff I can't remember. She was devastated to hear all this (and mortified that anyone thought of her that way).

Finally, my question. Was it wrong to express to the coach that she wanted to start in a game? And was it wrong to let her feelings show when he said that mean thing to her? I didn't see her sulking like they said she was, but I did see that she was sad. How could she not be?

How does she go forward from this? She is questioning everything now. She feels like her coaches all of a sudden don't like her.

She's a good kid, and this is hurting her, so it's also hurting me. :(

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I have no problem with "riding the horse" in a tournament setting. I also have no problem with any pitcher that has enough chutzpah to ask for the ball.

With only the information you have provided, and assuming there are other options, find another team. The "lifespan" of a softball player (not someone who plays softball - there's a difference) is too short to deal with this...your DD should DEFINITELY take this as a life lesson and work her butt off so a coach won't take the ball out of her hand...but that doesn't sound like her current situation to me.

Best of luck.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Being nice is overblown but it sounds like the coaches are sending her mixed messages.

Have her ask what they want from her and tell her to try to get an honest answer from them.

(I would not think about swithing teams yet)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
There are always 2 sides to every story, and we only got part of one side of the story here. My initial reaction to reading the OP was that not everything in softball is unicorns and rainbows, and a 15 yo needs to learn to deal with disappointment. I don't know whether the coaches handled this well or not. However, I have seen plenty of coaches (good and bad) not feel bad about letting a pitcher struggle who made some noise about circle time and then not delivering when they had the chance. It's an important life lesson that is larger than softball. I would not quit or leave the team, but that is up to your DD.

Apr 3, 2011
This is a difficult situation, and may be very difficult to give you advice. You will most likely get two separate responses.

They are all going to be similar to what has already been said in the thread.
You will have the "its deplorable change teams" and then you will get the "Life lesson, two sides to every story".

In my limited experience with these types of things often what happens is the parents sometimes have blinders on when it comes to their children, I am not saying this is the case with you, I don't know you.

The upside is you will get people that respond that have some great advice, and will try and assist in anyway they can.

Up until recently I had not had the experience with a coach who just takes the wind out of the kids. It is a very difficult thing to watch, and my DD who is 16 and I have discussed what options she has, I explained I would support her in which ever choice she makes. She chose to finish the season.

She sent me an message the other day which was negative, I was abrupt, and told her if that was how she was going to approach the rest of the HS season then she may as well just be done now. She messaged me back apologizing and said she was just very frustrated and she will not let it get to her anymore.

My DD likes to do lists, she will do positives/negatives and that seems to help her in making some decisions.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
He told her that he wanted her to be available to come in at the end of a game and close it if we had a big enough lead in the score. My daughter was confused and told him that she wanted to start a game, too, and he said to her (something like), "Well, we want to win."

When told that you are not starting, it is better not to say, "But I want to start.'' That's not what coaches want to hear.

That said, there's nothing wrong with her feeling that way. And she certainly didn't deserve to be treated like that. Coaches' job is to teach and encourage, not to make kids feel like crap.

Apr 29, 2013
So do you think the punishment fit the crime? I'm trying to understand where the coaches are coming from, but I'm having a really hard time.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So do you think the punishment fit the crime? I'm trying to understand where the coaches are coming from, but I'm having a really hard time.

No, the 'punishment' did not fit the crime.

Of course, I'm just guessing. I'm not getting both sides of the story. I wasn't there. But what I can trust is that your daughter felt devastated, got yelled at and feels the coaches don't like her. She's not excited about the next game. That's usually a coach problem.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Keep working. Get to her pitching coach and work up a new pitch, perhaps. (What ones does she throw, now?) And as always, work on her hitting. A coach will always play a hitter.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
My 15 year old has a problem I don't know how to help her with. She's one of 3 pitchers on her team. She's also an outstanding outfielder. Up until this weekend, each girl pitched pretty evenly. They are all pretty much at the same level, but there are times when one has a better weekend than the others. A few weeks ago, my daughter's coach told her that she's faster than the other two, and he plans to use her in championship games, start her more on Sundays, etc. That made her feel really good.:(

Cecelia, Is there a chance you have "mom glasses" on while watching daughter? It is okay if you do. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this to help you.

When I read,"A few weeks ago, my daughter's coach told her that she's faster than the other two, and he plans to use her in championship games, start her more on Sundays, etc". Did you hear this or was it told to you by daughter? I almost wonder if this was the coach trying to sugar coat that she wasn't going to pitch much anymore. That she was the #3 option. Maybe your daughter misread what was being said. That stinks if so. We went through that one season.

It sounds like the coach is going to prove a point, or make an example of her. The coaches will lose games just to prove they are right to your daughter. If you want to move past this you need to tell her to go and apologize for her attitude(even if it wasn't bad). Sometimes, we have to eat crow even when we didn't earn it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24