Daughter Can Pitch Again in 10u But Should I Move Het to 12u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been working with some 12U pitchers that just are not blowing anyone away. I am in AZ. so, I should be seeing pretty good pitching. They are cruising at 45, at best and will not use a change up. So, they have no pitches, to speak of.

What I am saying is your 10U, may not be that different than the 12U girls.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
What makes a pitcher great is to face great batters.

I remember some years ago, a 10u team moving up to 12u to facve better competition. At the start of that season, they got spanked pretty good. By the end of that season, however, they won a few tournies and placed 2nd in some also. Major, MAJOR improvement in ability. They were the talk of the tournies then.

They played up to the challenge very well.

Can she play up to the challenge??? She'll never know unless she tries, huh?

I agree with Hal. Most girls can make the distance and ball size change from 10s to 12s with just a few weeks practice. The biggest issue is can the pitcher mentally handle facing better batters as they move up? Is the girl mentally strong enough to go from dominating 10s to getting hit consistently by 12s? Does she have more than one pitch she can throw on demand for a strike? 11-year-old DD plays A level travel. Nothing pumps her up more than when she is playing up in 14s and sits them down swinging at a wicked change or rise. The reverse is true as well though. Nothing breaks them down faster than getting rocked game after game because they don't have the pitches or control to face better hitters.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Put it to her like this; "Coach Hal wants to know if you want to move up and play with the big girls, or stay down and keep playing with the little kids. ".

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
My daughter has a January 2002 birthday and we faced the same dilemma this spring. She was dominating at the 10B level last fall and could hold her own at the 10A level. We decided to keep her at the 10A level and let her do some guest-playing in 12u. Staying at the 10u level has boosted her confidence enormously and that confidence boost has even shown in her hitting. At the same time, she is comfortable throwing a 12 inch ball from 40 feet now and will be more than ready when she makes the official move up to 12u this fall.

Jun 12, 2013
Sure She Would Move Up If It Were Up to Her But I Have to Decide

These are all fine points and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Coach Hal my daughter told me she would move up no problem because she is competitive and she does have good mental toughness. In addition to all of the points mentioned here all good reasons to move her up.

But, at the end of the day she is still only 9 and not turning 10 until late July. She still only has one year of pitching under her belt but by working hard through the week because she enjoys it she has increased her speed and consistency. Performance wise she has been good with only walks 1-2 batters max over the course of 5 innings, 7-10 Ks, and throws a fastball on spot, change up and Peel Drop. She still is only average speed and does not blow it by anyone. At the moment, she doesn't know any other pitches but her pitching coach said this fall she would teach her more since she has done well with the others.

With that said I am still on the fence right now because I still do not know what will make her a better pitcher. In addition she still hasn't hit her growth spurt yet and still isn't very tall. I will buy this sneaky book though because I keep telling her if she can outsmart those good batters she will fare well.

I almost wish she had to move up and didn't have this option. If her team all decided to move up it would be a no brainer to keep these kids togetether since its their 5th year. So MANY MORE questions:

Is it bad of me of wanting her to be the horse of the 10u team next year especially if she increases her speed?
Will her level of play suffer if she stays in 10u when she does have to move to 12u the following year?
Does getting rocked in 12u make pitchers not to even want to pitch anymore or toughen them up?

She tries out for middle school ball in 2 years and balancing all these questions I just want whats best for her.

Any more comments would be appreciated because I have 4-6 weeks before tryouts.

Put it to her like this; "Coach Hal wants to know if you want to move up and play with the big girls, or stay down and keep playing with the little kids. ".

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2013
She will be a much better pitcher at the end of the year if she moves up and gets circle time, waiting a year is the same story she will be fine and IMO no good or bad in her development.

MS is the only reason I was happy DD moved up to the 12’ ball before tryouts, I am still not sure how she made the Team but she had an advantage over a lot of other players because of the 12’ ball.

Apr 19, 2013
It is very possible like my DD which we moved to 14U is capable and does pitch as well as the older girls on the team, however she is not getting the mound time due to age. She pitches mid 50's with movement pitches and a cu that eats the older girls up, including the ones on her team. But the older girls will get more mound time until they move up.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
When she reads my book, get ready for an attitude change. The usual response after reading it is always on the lines of :Dad, I cant believe how easy I have been making it on the batters". :)

The batters will knoiw she is young and they will have a false sense of confidence. My book will show her how to take that away in a heartbeat. You sound alot more leary of the move up than she does. Lets hope her confidence level is contagious and you catch a good dose of it.

She is going to have a blast.

Jun 12, 2013
I would love for her and the entire team to move up and compete to win some games from the older, stronger and faster, girls. In my mind that would be the best challenge for them all and in the end the most satisfying. We will see shortly after we get all the parents together but I will push for them to "All" move up and stay together.

Awesome discussion and thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG