Daddy ball down sides

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
DS was on a team like that a few years ago. The coach's son was one of the better players on the team, but there was still clear favoritism going on. The kid only pitched or played SS. If other players made an error in the infield, they'd be in the OF the next inning. Except the coach's kid. Balls would go right through his leg and he'd be back at SS the next inning. Aside from the favoritism, I didn't like the coach anyway - he was one of those guys who always focused on the negatives of every play. DS said the kid told them several times that he hated playing for his dad.

May 18, 2009
I've seen Daddy ball with undeserving DD's and with deserving DD's and I've seen it in between. Always depends on the mentality of the coach.

Jun 12, 2015
I guess the main thing I've noticed is that you think of daddy ball as benefiting the coach's kid but in reality it's possibly even more detrimental to him/her than to the rest of the team. I swear when the ball gets hit to my older DD's son at first you can see the panic in his eyes. He knows he's going to miss the ball and get yelled at, which makes him miss the ball. It's sad. So much pressure on this kid to play a position he's not built for and it's just rec ball.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Two of the best coaches my DDs played for had their daughters on the team. Both their daughters were good and both coaches were fair with the girls. Both coaches started their teams at 10U and worked their way up to playing 18U. One just started over with another 10U and no daughter on that team.

Over the decades, most of the best teams I've played against have had parent coaches. I am talking not just a majority, but like 90%+.

I get a kick out of people who are always talking about a "non-parent-coached" team as being somehow superior to the alternative. I have just never seen that to be true, at least all the way trough 14U and even at 16U. By 18U they're all signed anyway so it hardly matters.

Jun 12, 2015
It's interesting, a coach I know is coaching a very talented 10U team. I really think they could end up being one of the best 06 teams in the SE, not because he's a great coach but because the girls are talented and motivated and the parents are committed and work with them a bunch when not playing with the team. Only his daughter is not at that level and probably will never be. He even said, she plays for fun and doesn't really have any desire to practice outside of team practices, and she's just not as athletic as the other girls. So she sits, a LOT. It seems weird to me to want to coach a team that is so far over your own kid's level. Like, these kids who were strangers before you formed the team are somehow more important than your own just because they're better at softball. If my DD were a B level player I'd want my DH to coach a B level team so she could play rather than sit. That's like, the anti-daddy ball which seems just as bad to me. Or worse maybe.

It's interesting, a coach I know is coaching a very talented 10U team. I really think they could end up being one of the best 06 teams in the SE, not because he's a great coach but because the girls are talented and motivated and the parents are committed and work with them a bunch when not playing with the team. Only his daughter is not at that level and probably will never be. He even said, she plays for fun and doesn't really have any desire to practice outside of team practices, and she's just not as athletic as the other girls. So she sits, a LOT. It seems weird to me to want to coach a team that is so far over your own kid's level. Like, these kids who were strangers before you formed the team are somehow more important than your own just because they're better at softball. If my DD were a B level player I'd want my DH to coach a B level team so she could play rather than sit. That's like, the anti-daddy ball which seems just as bad to me. Or worse maybe.

Some people just love coaching and they love coaching at the highest levels. Heck, I'd do it for free, DD or no DD on the team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06